Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

120GB iPod Classic Into GMC Canyon

Portables A/V

Portables A/V
Discussions about smartphones, tables, MP3 players, and digital music

120GB iPod Classic Into GMC Canyon

This question is answered

I am driving a single cab 2007 GMC Canyon that has the bare bones GM stereo in it.  1 speaker in each door and the head unit has no auxiliary input,  CD player, CD changer, or satellite controls.  I was thinking of just buying a new deck, but this vehicle requires me to purchase a module to retain the vehicle warning chimes, so even an inexpensive deck like a $150 Alpine or Kenwood is going to run me another $75 on top of that, plus the wiring harnesses and mounting kit, plus tax, plus installation because i'm not going to mess with this one.  I read about the ability of Griffin's iTrip FM Transmitter to be able to tune to 87.9 and 87.7 (the head unit in the Canyon supports this).  I've heard FM transmitters before and was never thrilled, but if it'd save me $300 I'm going to go for it.  Is there any middle road that would allow me to play my 120GB iPod Classic through the factory stereo?

Verified Answer
  • Do you have OnStar?

First a couple of ideas:

• Personally, I think the new deck would be worth the $200-$250.  Installation is easy with the wiring harness and kit and module.
    • If you are handy with wiring and don't have OnStar, you don't really NEED the module - you can just run power and ACC from the fuse box - but IMHO, the $60 difference between the module and the plain wiring harness is worth it.  (Keep in mind the $75 is still 50% off retail).  The warning chimes are not a huge deal, but not having OnStar be able to communicate with you would be.

I have heard bad things about wireless FM transmitters (like the iTrip), but good things about wired FM modulators.  Same concept, but these are hard-wired inline with your antenna cable, so your iPod isn't competing with static on 87.9 or 87.7.  The only real drawback compared to a stereo with an AUX input is you are limited to the 50-15Khz frequency range of FM as opposed to the 20-20K with an AUX input, but you would be with the iTrip also.

Hope This Helps!!! 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • Do you have OnStar?

First a couple of ideas:

• Personally, I think the new deck would be worth the $200-$250.  Installation is easy with the wiring harness and kit and module.
    • If you are handy with wiring and don't have OnStar, you don't really NEED the module - you can just run power and ACC from the fuse box - but IMHO, the $60 difference between the module and the plain wiring harness is worth it.  (Keep in mind the $75 is still 50% off retail).  The warning chimes are not a huge deal, but not having OnStar be able to communicate with you would be.

I have heard bad things about wireless FM transmitters (like the iTrip), but good things about wired FM modulators.  Same concept, but these are hard-wired inline with your antenna cable, so your iPod isn't competing with static on 87.9 or 87.7.  The only real drawback compared to a stereo with an AUX input is you are limited to the 50-15Khz frequency range of FM as opposed to the 20-20K with an AUX input, but you would be with the iTrip also.

Hope This Helps!!! 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs