99 Nissan Pathfinder

This question is answered

I have a 99 Nissan Pathfinder with a Bose Sound system. It is hard to maintain a lot of CDs in the car and I would like to be able to play my iPod in the car using my current sound system. I have seen some of the iPod integration kits around and they are quite expensive. I have a few questions I hope somebody can answer:

1.  Are there other kits for ipod integration to my current kit?

2.  Is it better to replace the HU with a new one? But, I would like to keep my factory amp and speakers. 

3. The system has a CD/CHG button. Can I use this instead for iPod integration? connect an RCA perhaps?

Thanks to all.

Verified Answer
  • The Bose systems are not that bad to integrate.

I tend to like Metra products overall, and the 70-7551 is designed for the Nissan Bose systems, but from reports on the Nissan forums it lacks a gain control and tends to really only work well with HU's with 4V to 5V RCA pre-outs.

IMHO, a better solution that CF recommends is the Metra 70-7550 (standard non-Bose Harness - Free with $129 or up HU purchase) and the Scosche OEA-4 adapter $40 with independent gain controls.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • Q1 - Not sure, CF usually has kits by PAC and USA-SPEC.  We don't know what your current kit is.  There are also wireless or wired (preferred) FM modulators that you could use, but you would have to select songs from the iPod.

Q2 - Yes, keeping the factory amp and speakers shouldn't be a problem.

Q3 - No, but sometimes the USA SPEC and similar adapters require that to work at all with the system.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I agree, iPod integration kits are expensive - so when I was deciding, I just went ahead and got a dedicated iPod controller HU (Alpine IDA-X001, upgrading to IDA-x305 soon cause the X001 burned out). It ran about the same as an integration kit would have, for my 99 Altima, and it is much more user friendly.

Regarding Boss sound systems in Nissans - my buddy had a few (he loves nissans) and from what I know, they didn't make it very easy to replace just the HU - usually some sort of adaptor is required to keep using the stock amp.

Did a bit of searching, and I think you are looking for this:

Metra 70-7551 <Mod Edit: Linked to Manufacturer's site. Please link to Crutchfield's Item Page or manufacturer's website. Thanks.>

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

[edited by: TigerHeli at 8:35 AM (GMT -5) on Sat, May 15 2010] http://www.discountcarstereo.com//detail.aspx?ID=755 or http://www.autosoundcentral.com/Metra_70_7551_Bose_AMP_Wire_Harness_p/707551.htm
  • The Bose systems are not that bad to integrate.

I tend to like Metra products overall, and the 70-7551 is designed for the Nissan Bose systems, but from reports on the Nissan forums it lacks a gain control and tends to really only work well with HU's with 4V to 5V RCA pre-outs.

IMHO, a better solution that CF recommends is the Metra 70-7550 (standard non-Bose Harness - Free with $129 or up HU purchase) and the Scosche OEA-4 adapter $40 with independent gain controls.

Hope This Helps!!!

• Thanks a lot guys!