Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Clarion CZ500 Iphone Bluetooth A2DP Auto Pair

Portables A/V

Portables A/V
Discussions about smartphones, tables, MP3 players, and digital music

Clarion CZ500 Iphone Bluetooth A2DP Auto Pair

This question is answered

I installed a new Clarion CZ500 head unit, and I am able to sucessfully pair my iPhone 3G using bluetooth A2DP.  Every time I turn the car off, the pairing disconnects (obviously).  When I start the car, the stereo says Bluetooth Disconnect - I am then forced to click through 4 -5 menus on the iPhone to re-pair it, which sort of defeats the point of having this feature.

Is it possible with this combination to automatically pair either from the iPhone end or on the CZ500 head unit side every time the car is started? 

Thanks - Jonathan

Verified Answer
  • Have you tried something other than an iPhone to see what the results are? I've seen too many things "break" after an iPhone update to really trust them anymore.

Also, is someone else using the vehicle in between when you use it? It could be that the headunit is stuck trying to remember the very last phone connected.

When I am the only one using my car, my phone will pair every time. However, if my wife uses it and connects her phone, the next time I get in, I have to manually connect my phone.

Shawn

All Replies
  • Have you tried something other than an iPhone to see what the results are? I've seen too many things "break" after an iPhone update to really trust them anymore.

Also, is someone else using the vehicle in between when you use it? It could be that the headunit is stuck trying to remember the very last phone connected.

When I am the only one using my car, my phone will pair every time. However, if my wife uses it and connects her phone, the next time I get in, I have to manually connect my phone.

Shawn

• I had this same problem.  The auto connect is delivered in the "ON" setting but doesn't work.  Simply go to the menu, turn Auto Con to OFF, and exit the menu to set it.  Then go back in, and turn it back on.  This is what I did and now my iPhone reconnects every time.

Thanks -

Chad

• Hi,

I have the same problem with my iPhone, it doesn't pair automaticaly. But I can't seem to find the auto connect setting in the menu?

Can you tell me where this setting is please?

Thanks!

• I've noticed the menu changes depending on what source you're on. Make sure you have Bluetooth as the source, then press Menu and roll through the options.  "Auto Con" should show up.

• Same thing for me.. Pair the phone manually, then go into the menu and bluetooth options show up. turn off auto connect (hold button for 2 sec) then back on.

My problem though is that every time i get in the car - no matter the previous mode (tuner/cd etc) once the deck connects via bluetooth, it automatically launches my ipod (in my iphone 4) and begins streaming music. Is this happening to everyone else? I find it annoying and would like to turn that option off. Is this acceptable to everyone else?

• OK - I had the same issue with iphone and could not find the "auto-connect" setting. You have to pair the device manually, have the audio source set to bluetooth - and then hold the "D" button on the bottom right of the unit until it brings up some options - click the right arrow until you see the "Auto Connect" feature. Turn it to 'off' and back out of the menu - turn the unit power off and back on - go back to "auto Connect" and select 'on' - now it should sync up automatically.

Again - make sure the source is set to bluetooth, or the "auto-connect" option will not show up...

As far as I can tell, the "menu" button does not figure into the process at all - it's all about the "D" button.

• Thanks for this, I tried everything and didn't know what I was doing wrong, I was able to get my Samsung Vibrant to connect by doing this procedure. No more manually connecting every time I get in the car!

Thanks Again!

-Daniel

• Thanks for the info, we just put this unit into my girlfriend's car and were having the same auto connect issue with her iPhone 3G. Glad to know it's an easy solution!

• I figured I'd ask here since there seem to be a number of other CZ500 owners with iPhones. Have any of you noticed the sorting of the phonebook is done numerically rather than alphabetically? It seems that with my girlfriend's 3G iPhone it pulls up her contacts in numeric order by phone number rather than alphabetical order by either first or last name. So for example Jenny with a 203 area code number comes before Dave with a 617 area code phone number. I can't figure out how to change this and it's super annoying. 

Any input would be appreciated.

• Hi,

A new twist. My girlfriend upgraded from her iPhone 3G to an iPhone 4. We repaired it and did the trick described here to fix the auto connect problem. The trouble is for some reason we can't pull her phone book up on the CZ500. It just says "No Match" when we go into Memory Phonebook, Received Calls, etc. What's odd is that when you call her phone it still properly shows the name and number on the screen of the CZ500 (i.e. Joe Smith 2125555785) so it's clearly reading the phonebook somehow. 

In the interim she's just going to use the iPhones voice dial feature (since she usually keeps her phone in a pocket below the radio in easy grasp) but has anyone has this issue? I have to say I'm really not too impressed with this unit overall. Had I have known it was going to be so troublesome I would have spent a few extra bucks and got her the JVC unit that I ended up getting for my car a few months later. 

[edited by: CardiffGiant at 10:20 AM (GMT -5) on Thu, Jul 21 2011]
  • Just an update, still haven't fixed the phone book issue with No Match but we realized shortly after that the Audio Streaming via bluetooth stopped working. It would show as playing on the iPhone but no audio would come through on the CZ500. Then a few days she got the phone it started working fine. Really flaky unit IMHO especially since I already had to swap it out once for a replacement after bluetooth stopped working all together on the first unit.

[edited by: CardiffGiant at 8:37 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, Aug 2 2011]