Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Android in the car

Portables A/V

Portables A/V
Discussions about smartphones, tables, MP3 players, and digital music

Android in the car

• Has anyone heard any buzz about upcoming headunits that will offer Android integration? iPod controls are very common in headunits, while it seems all the top manufacturers offer an interface for the iPods. I'd like to see this type of integration for Android devices.

[edited by: J P at 11:10 AM (GMT -5) on Sat, Jul 10 2010] Changed to discussion.
  • Hey bighitter,

I have not heard of any upcoming head units that will work with Android. Maybe we will get some more information on possible devices at the next CES.

www.crutchfield.com/bio/JP
  • How about Android-based head units?  There are a couple of Chinese companies making them, but I'm looking for one of the mainstream manufacturers to make one.  These are basically double-din units with a tablet screen.  My dream unit would have bluetooth, FM radio, HD radio, GPS antenna, reverse camera, wifi, 3G, USB (front and rear), 3 sets of pre-outs, a rotary volume knob, and dedicated mute button (complete mute...not attenuation).  No need for CD.

Anything like that coming down the pipe?

• Post has some age on it, but I'm pretty sure I saw JVC is introducing some Android compatible units at CES.  Probably other manufacturers will also.

Haven't heard of any mainstream head units that are Android-based, but your suggested unit sounds interesting.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Has anyone at Crutchfield heard about the JVC units or any other mainstream manufacturer heading in this direction?

• I'm not officially at Crutchfield, but ...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=car+audio+android+CES

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=JVC+android

Looks like the Parrot Asteroid might be something you would want to watch out for.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• We carry the Parrot but the Android integration isn't what you might expect. It uses the Android OS to run, but you can't plug in an Android phone and control it like you see with iPhones.

It basically recognizes it like a USB drive and you can play your music from it just like you would with a flash drive.

It does run some Android apps directly on the receiver but for things like Google maps, you need to have it tethered to a phone or have a separate 3G stick connected to it so it can get data.

<Now for some total speculation on my part>

Until the Android OS becomes completely unified, I doubt any manufacturers are going to be able to effectively create a duplicate way of using an Android phone they have for iPhones (and iPods). There are many different variations of the OS along with the fact that each phone also has some other underlying system running along with it. The easiest example for me make is Motorola and Blur.

It seems like Ice Cream Sandwich is a step in the direction of unification, but I think there's going to still be a bit to go.

</end speculation>

Shawn

• And possiby I spoke a little too soon. It appears that Kenwood has released an app for Androids that does provide some better control for music playback.

http://www.kenwood.com/products/car_audio/app/kmc1_aapp/eng/index.html

Shawn

• Thanks for the replies. Those are still not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a head unit that IS an android device (probably based on a 7" tablet), not one that controls an Android phone.  With so many manufacturers making double-din touchscreen head units, it seems like a natural evolution that these head units should run Android, and therefore allow infinite customization.