60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Kenwood KDC-2025 doesn't find "AUX EXT" Source

Portables A/V

Portables A/V
Discussions about smartphones, tables, MP3 players, and digital music

Kenwood KDC-2025 doesn't find "AUX EXT" Source

This question is answered

Hello everyone,  

I recently bought an old jeep that already had an aftermarket stereo installed (KDC-2025) so I figured I'd look around and try and find a cable to add a jack for my ipod.  I picked one up off of ebay (which is probably my problem) and installed it into the CD changer jack on the back of the radio but for some reason, when I try to find the "AUX EXT" source, it never finds it.   Is there an option I'm just not finding that I need to turn on in the menu of the radio?  Or did I just buy a busted cable?

[edited by: blatz213 at 6:01 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Aug 2 2010]
Verified Answer
  • I think you are confusing some things, but I don't know how to explain it any better.

Anyway - I think the unit somehow knows the difference between the AUX cable that you are using, and the Disc Changer cable - perhaps some type of grounded pin on the cable.

The manual is talking about if you connect a changer and the deck thinks you have an AUX cable connected.

Either way you have three possibilities:

• Some menu setting turned off (although neither you nor I can see what it would be).
    • Defective AUX input cable - recommend getting another cable to test - if possible doing refund/exchange with original seller.
    • Defective head unit CD changer port - would need to replace the head unit.

The service center would be able to pin to pin troubleshoot and repair the internal circuits of the unit, but the hourly fee would run more than a new deck.  If the new cable doesn't fixed it, your best bet is a new deck, and the second best (but less expensive) option is a wired FM modulator.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • Not 100% sure, but it seems like it's likely a bad cable.

The recommended cable for your deck is the CA-C1AUX.

Most decks with a built-in AUX input have a menu option to enable or disable it (often you have to access the setup menu with the deck powered but turned off to see it), however, your deck (Page 21) seems to have an option to change the DISPLAYED NAME of the Aux input, but as far as I can see, the Aux Input is always enabled when the cable is detected.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• It's definitely the right cable, but I am leaning on the idea that it's just broken.  I was hoping it might be something else because of what it says in a small blurb in the troubleshooting portion of the manual on page 30.

" If the following situations, consult your nearest service center:

Even though the disc changer is connected, the Disc Changer source is not ON, with "AUX EXT" showing in the display during Changer Mode."

In this case the changer would've been the ipod using that cable but for whatever reason it doesn't work.  And I'm not sure exactly what a service center would actually do since I couldn't see any obvious switches or anything around the outside of the unit.  Unless there are some dip switches or something inside the unit itself but that doesn't really make sense since the manual makes it sound like all you have to do is just plug it in and go.

• I think you are confusing some things, but I don't know how to explain it any better.

Anyway - I think the unit somehow knows the difference between the AUX cable that you are using, and the Disc Changer cable - perhaps some type of grounded pin on the cable.

The manual is talking about if you connect a changer and the deck thinks you have an AUX cable connected.

Either way you have three possibilities:

• Some menu setting turned off (although neither you nor I can see what it would be).
    • Defective AUX input cable - recommend getting another cable to test - if possible doing refund/exchange with original seller.
    • Defective head unit CD changer port - would need to replace the head unit.

The service center would be able to pin to pin troubleshoot and repair the internal circuits of the unit, but the hourly fee would run more than a new deck.  If the new cable doesn't fixed it, your best bet is a new deck, and the second best (but less expensive) option is a wired FM modulator.

Hope This Helps!!!

• I'm in the process of getting another cable, and if that doesn't work, then I guess I'll just get a new head unit with a built in aux jack.  Thank you very kindly for the help! Smile

• Hopefully the new cable fixes it - I'd like to think it was something simple.