Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Ipod

Portables A/V

Portables A/V
Discussions about smartphones, tables, MP3 players, and digital music

Ipod

This question is answered

Have a Toyota Sienna with aux connection and while I can play my music with my ipod I would like to uses a memory stick instead . I would have to have a USB connection to a 3.5 audio connector and I have not found one anywhere . Can this be accomplished in the way I would like to play my music ? I know other cars have USB ports installed and you can use the memory stick in this way .Any help or advise would be appreciated .

Thanks

Verified Answer
  • hottcakes
    i don't think you're going to find any sort of "conversion" (?) cable anywhere. a usb/flash drive sends more information than just music signal through. and that is all a headphone jack transmits as far as i know.

You won't find a conversion cable per se - There are some MP3 players that accept SD cards as inputs and there are probably some that accept USB sticks as input media - not sure this gains you anything over the iPod - if you have one of those now, though.

hottcakes
    plus those USB drives need to be powered by something and a usb input on a radio provides what little it needs.

Need to watch the terminology - USB HDD's need power and get that though the USB port.  USB memory sticks get power from the USB port, but I'm not sure they NEED it - there are no moving parts.

hottcakes
    not to be rude or anything, but continue using what you have or buy an after-market radio with a(n)* usb input.

Not seeing how that was rude and I agree with it, but there are some USB adapters that use the OEM head unit changer port for a connection.  DICE makes one for some Toyota's - I don't recommend them as they cost more than a really nice head unit, but they are an option.

hottcakes
    in my unprofessional opinion, the aux connection can be better since you do not need to wait for the car's radio to "read" the USB drive that you have plugged into it.

I'm going to strongly disagree with this - the index time for my 1997 Sony deck was about 7 seconds per GB, but most modern decks (including Sony) are around 2-3 seconds per GB - maybe less.  In exchange, the USB input lets you select your music from the head unit and unless you have a VERY expensive MP3 player, the D-A converters in the HU and likely much higher quality, and the USB input allows the deck to display file and ID3 tag info from the songs on the HU screen.  In addition - for some reason - the AUX input is always lower volume, so you end up increasing the volume both on the input MP3 player and the head unit, which decreases sound quality.  I have used both (mainly for the reasons that Hottcakes mentioned with the slow reading Sony deck).

hottcakes
    *i really don't know if that requires "a" or "an" since the U in USB stands for "Universal" which starts with the "yu" sound. and since we don't say "an yak", but instead "a yak" i stand, rather sit, confused.

I believe "a USB input" is correct.  English is weird, but I think it is supposed to be "an" before vowel sounds and "a" before consonant sounds - i.e.
    an apple
    an airplane
    an elephant
    a European country
    a university
    an umbrella

Also confusing b/c the USB is considered a yu- consonant sound even though y can be a consonant or a vowel depending on usage.

Personally, I've stopped worrying about it and am just happy if we can get members to type in complete understandable sentences and preferably avoid textspeak - u no wut I meen?...

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • i don't think you're going to find any sort of "conversion" (?) cable anywhere. a usb/flash drive sends more information than just music signal through. and that is all a headphone jack transmits as far as i know. plus those USB drives need to be powered by something and a usb input on a radio provides what little it needs. not to be rude or anything, but continue using what you have or buy an after-market radio with a(n)* usb input. in my unprofessional opinion, the aux connection can be better since you do not need to wait for the car's radio to "read" the USB drive that you have plugged into it.

*i really don't know if that requires "a" or "an" since the U in USB stands for "Universal" which starts with the "yu" sound. and since we don't say "an yak", but instead "a yak" i stand, rather sit, confused.

• hottcakes
    i don't think you're going to find any sort of "conversion" (?) cable anywhere. a usb/flash drive sends more information than just music signal through. and that is all a headphone jack transmits as far as i know.

You won't find a conversion cable per se - There are some MP3 players that accept SD cards as inputs and there are probably some that accept USB sticks as input media - not sure this gains you anything over the iPod - if you have one of those now, though.

hottcakes
    plus those USB drives need to be powered by something and a usb input on a radio provides what little it needs.

Need to watch the terminology - USB HDD's need power and get that though the USB port.  USB memory sticks get power from the USB port, but I'm not sure they NEED it - there are no moving parts.

hottcakes
    not to be rude or anything, but continue using what you have or buy an after-market radio with a(n)* usb input.

Not seeing how that was rude and I agree with it, but there are some USB adapters that use the OEM head unit changer port for a connection.  DICE makes one for some Toyota's - I don't recommend them as they cost more than a really nice head unit, but they are an option.

hottcakes
    in my unprofessional opinion, the aux connection can be better since you do not need to wait for the car's radio to "read" the USB drive that you have plugged into it.

I'm going to strongly disagree with this - the index time for my 1997 Sony deck was about 7 seconds per GB, but most modern decks (including Sony) are around 2-3 seconds per GB - maybe less.  In exchange, the USB input lets you select your music from the head unit and unless you have a VERY expensive MP3 player, the D-A converters in the HU and likely much higher quality, and the USB input allows the deck to display file and ID3 tag info from the songs on the HU screen.  In addition - for some reason - the AUX input is always lower volume, so you end up increasing the volume both on the input MP3 player and the head unit, which decreases sound quality.  I have used both (mainly for the reasons that Hottcakes mentioned with the slow reading Sony deck).

hottcakes

I believe "a USB input" is correct.  English is weird, but I think it is supposed to be "an" before vowel sounds and "a" before consonant sounds - i.e.
    an apple
    an airplane
    an elephant
    a European country
    a university
    an umbrella

Also confusing b/c the USB is considered a yu- consonant sound even though y can be a consonant or a vowel depending on usage.

Personally, I've stopped worrying about it and am just happy if we can get members to type in complete understandable sentences and preferably avoid textspeak - u no wut I meen?...

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• i suppose i didn't really give any consideration at all to the DAC. that is true for quality purposes. although an mp3 will never stack up to a real cd in terms of quality, especially to real audiophiles.

that last part of my post was more of a stream of soncsciousness writing. i generally try to keep up with proper grammer for myself, but i don't harp on people online since i really don't know any background information (dyslexia, or other learning disorder). i don't eve use that textspeak in texts. stuff like that makes me lose hope in the youth of this country, but i digress...

• hottcakes
    although an mp3 will never stack up to a real cd in terms of quality, especially to real audiophiles.

Personally, I can't tell much difference - especially in car audio - but I don't think I qualify as an audiophile either.Cool

• Thanks for your reply guess I will just continue using my Ipod and not worry about trying to use a memory stick.

Thanks