connecting sansa mp3 player to Alpine 9886

This question is answered

connected Sansa mp3 player to Alpine 9886 and all i can get it to display and play are the preloaded songs that were on the mp3 player when I bought it. any suggestions or answers to my  delema?

Verified Answer
  • I'm confused - what model Sansa and how are you connecting it?

Most Sansa USB players are MTP (Media Transfer Protocol - appears as a MP3 Player in Windows) and the 9886 will not read them over the USB port.

You should be able to connect and listen to it with the headphone jack connected to the AUX input, but you would have to select songs from the Sansa itself and nothing will display on the 9886.

A few MP3 players are MSC (mass storage class - appears as a removable drive in Windows) and the 9886 should read and playback and display files from them over the USB connection).  Sansa doesn't often do this, though.

Still others allow you to set a portion of the storage as MSC and the rest as MTP - so the device would work either way, but any files on the MTP partition would not be accessible to the 9886 and any files on the MSC partition would not be accessible when you played the Sansa over headphones outside the car.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • I'm confused - what model Sansa and how are you connecting it?

Most Sansa USB players are MTP (Media Transfer Protocol - appears as a MP3 Player in Windows) and the 9886 will not read them over the USB port.

You should be able to connect and listen to it with the headphone jack connected to the AUX input, but you would have to select songs from the Sansa itself and nothing will display on the 9886.

A few MP3 players are MSC (mass storage class - appears as a removable drive in Windows) and the 9886 should read and playback and display files from them over the USB connection).  Sansa doesn't often do this, though.

Still others allow you to set a portion of the storage as MSC and the rest as MTP - so the device would work either way, but any files on the MTP partition would not be accessible to the 9886 and any files on the MSC partition would not be accessible when you played the Sansa over headphones outside the car.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• so if you are wanting the songs to show up on the 9886 screen the best thing would be to have just about any IPOD (Apple) as opposed to a mp3 player, and connect it with the usb. doing this it should automatically should on the 9886?

• If you really want an MP3 player to take in and out of the car with you, your best bet is an iPod (or an MSC-class MP3 player, but there aren't any I would recommend).  If you just want the same songs that are on the Sansa available in the car, your best bet is a USB flash drive ($25 for 16GB) with all the songs from the Sansa transferred to it - that you can just leave in the glove box or center console.  (Also the songs have to be properly ID3 tagged to show up on the display - most are or there are freeware apps to edit the tags).

Either approach can take some time to set up, as I think the 9886 searches by ID3 tag, but navigates by folders.  (I typically have one album per folder, but if you didn't do this originally with the Sansa you might have some sorting to do).

Another drawback to the USB stick is your music won't stay synched - i.e. if you add a new song to the Sansa, you also have to manually add it to the USB stick.

Hope This Helps!!!