I want to keep Iphone Ipod app controls on the phone rather then the head unit via usb

• I currently have a cheap off-brand DUAL head-unit. The iphone connects via a combination cable that has the dock connection on one side, and a 3.5mm jack/usb connector on the other side. When I connect the iphone to the deck, I have the option of inputs ranging from AM/FM, CD ect... till AUX and then IPOD. When the deck is in IPOD the controls go through the head unit interface. When it is in AUX the controls stay on the Iphone, however its not going through the 3.5mm entirely because there is no volume control on the iphone, and it charges the iphone. People say the 3.5mm looses quality and I believe it does only because the volume control affects the equalizer, and once you turn the iphone/ipod up to a certain level there are distortions from the ipod because the soft equalizer. I could be wrong but i generally get the same quality when the volume is at half on the ipod and the stereo is turned up vs a usb connection and the stereo at a matching volume level. 

All of that to say, the reason why I like My iphone or ipod over any other MP3 player is because of the wonderful screen interface, and control system. You have to get a dual din head unit with a touch screen, that I currently cant afford, in order to match the wonderful Ipod controls.  

and now for the question, What if any single din  name brand head units support an option that will allow me to control the ipod from the ipod and be connected/played through USB. Maybe a combination cable is all that is needed?

thanks for your time

bob

[edited by: Ryan at 4:19 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Mar 2 2011]
  • Can't do it with a combination cable with the Dual.

Aux input sounds worse for more reasons than just what you described above.

Most Pioneer and JVC models have the option to control the Ipod from the iPod - it's usually called "passenger mode" for not any really good reason.  I don't think Alpine does, but they tend to operate more similarly to the iPod itself.  Kenwood and Sony and Clarion might but I'm not sure of that.  It will vary by model also, but MOST JVC and Pioneer will do it.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• thanks, did help

so im looking at pioneer, and it looks like some of their newer head units support it. 

but im looking at the:

DEH-6200BT

DEH-8300UB

DEH-7200HD

DEH-7300BT

edit: Would the APP mode do it? 

and I dont think any of them have it, I pretty much need a single din head unit with that option and front,rear,sub 4v pre-amp outs?

[edited by: bobthemailman90 at 1:58 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, Feb 24 2011]
  • CF lists this info now - look at the hands-on research, click on USB/iPod/Aux Connection and in the table look for Control Type - iPod/iPhone.  It looks like only certain types of iPods are supported, but the 6200BT supports MOST of them - I didn't check the others - I remember Kenwood supporting it also, I think.

bobthemailman90
    4v pre-amp outs?

I doubt you NEED 4v pre-amp outputs - are you fairly sure your car will generate system noise that would be picked up with less than 4V outputs?

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

•  

I want to keep Iphone Ipod app controls on the phone rather then the head unit via usb

I currently have a cheap off-brand DUAL head-unit. The iphone connects via a combination cable that has the dock connection on one side,

<Mod Edit: Removed Spam>

[edited by: TigerHeli at 11:40 AM (GMT -5) on Mon, Jul 9 2012] iphone apps android appsNokia problem solution
  • Right - and you can control what is playing from the iPhone rather than the head unit?