Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Using a cassette adapter to listen to ipod via 2002 Chevy Suburban stock radio

Portables A/V

Portables A/V
Discussions about smartphones, tables, MP3 players, and digital music

Using a cassette adapter to listen to ipod via 2002 Chevy Suburban stock radio

• My stock cassette adapter is separate from the stock radio in my 2002 Chevy Suburban 1500 (stock radio with On-Star and subwoofer) and will play cassette tapes.

When I insert a cassette adapter into the player, it will hold it for a few seconds and then eject the adapter.  My owers manual does not indicate how to use a cassette adapter - others have suggested that the radio or system would need to be 're-programmed' to accept an adapter.

Has anyone encountered a similar scenario or is their truth to the possibility that the radio needs to be reprogrammed to accept the cassette adapter?

[edited by: Ryan at 4:38 PM (GMT -5) on Fri, May 27 2011]
  • I've never heard of that not working, but it's possible that the tape deck senses that the drive hubs aren't turning and assumes the cassette is broken.  It would be unusual, but there are weirder things in car audio.

I really doubt it is possible to reprogram the deck to make it work, though.

My advice would be to replace the deck with a modern CD head unit with iPod control, but if you don't want to do that, an FM modulator (not transmitter) is probably your best bet.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Thanks for your reply and advise.  I know there are many options to get around this issue but am still waiting a bit longer for suggestions before I make the plunge.

• Duct tape across the cassette slot after you insert the adapter ... Cool

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• higherspl

My stock cassette adapter is separate from the stock radio in my 2002 Chevy Suburban 1500 (stock radio with On-Star and subwoofer) and will play cassette tapes.

When I insert a cassette adapter into the player, it will hold it for a few seconds and then eject the adapter.  My owers manual does not indicate how to use a cassette adapter - others have suggested that the radio or system would need to be 're-programmed' to accept an adapter.

Has anyone encountered a similar scenario or is their truth to the possibility that the radio needs to be reprogrammed to accept the cassette adapter?

Does your stock radio have the auto-reverse feature? I know that type of cassette deck has issues with cassette adapters (especially from stock radios). If so, then you will probably need to replace it.

If you do not have the 6-disc in-dash CD changer, then you can get the Peripheral iPod adapter ISGM73 (if you are connecting an iPod that is).

[edited by: Paul at 6:23 PM (GMT -5) on Sat, May 21 2011]

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul

• Yes it does have the auto reverse feature - I think that may be the issue.  I can get the deck to play through the cassette adapter passing audio for about 2 seconds before it trys the auto reverse and then kicks it out.  I don't have the 6-disc in dash CD changer, only the stock single CD, so your suggestion may be my best bet - thanks for the recommendation.