Alpine dock works on iPod Classic, not Touch or iPhone

This question is answered

Hi,

I have an Alpine CDA-7892 head unit with the Ai-NET dock connector cable to plug into my iPod. It works fine with my iPod Classic 120GB (6th gen?) playing music on the AUX mode and charging it. However, when I plug in my iPod Touch 4th gen, it does not play any music. It does charge, however, I noticed the dock connector plug got warmer than usual after being plugged in for about a half hour.

Do I need a different dock connector for the iPod Touch? I tried plugging in someones iPhone as well and that charged but didn't play either. Is the pinout different on the dock connector from the Classic to the Touch?

Thanks.

Verified Answer
  • If you have that adapter, I don't think it should be working at all. According to Alpine that adapter should not be compatible with any model manufactured prior to April 28, 2004 and the model you listed is from 2002.

Everything I've got is indicating that you should basically be using an Aux Input adapter. This will let audio get the Alpine but will negate any control or charging.

Shawn

All Replies
  • What AI Net connector are you using?

Shawn

• Shawn

What AI Net connector are you using?

I'm pretty sure it's this one here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALPINE-iPOD-INPUT-CABLE-GB-APPLE-KCA-420i-Ai-NET-CDA-MP-/250732913050?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a60d8a19a

I'm PRETTY sure it was the 5V cable. Even if it was the wrong voltage (the old 12V cable), shouldn't it still play, and just not charge? I tried it with the ignition switch in the ON position (charging power) and OFF position (no power to iPod), but nothing. ON and OFF it works just fine with the Classic.

If it makes any difference, the iPod Classic doesn't show anything on screen to indicate it's plugged into the dock, or that it is charging (no charging symbol). However, it does charge as the battery indicator never goes down. I normally get a charging symbol if I plug it into a wall charger. I don't know what's up with that.

[edited by: dh1989 at 7:41 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, Oct 27 2011]
  • If you have that adapter, I don't think it should be working at all. According to Alpine that adapter should not be compatible with any model manufactured prior to April 28, 2004 and the model you listed is from 2002.

Everything I've got is indicating that you should basically be using an Aux Input adapter. This will let audio get the Alpine but will negate any control or charging.

Shawn