Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

What's the best low-heat receiver for Ipod?

Portables A/V

Portables A/V
Discussions about smartphones, tables, MP3 players, and digital music

What's the best low-heat receiver for Ipod?

This question is answered

I have been using a Yamaha RX V471 5.1 Channel Receiver to play music from iPod for a retail store. We have 4 speakers but connected to only Left and Right. Speakers are Polk Atrium 4. We only use iPod music. I want a new receiver or amplifier because the Yamaha generates so much heat and is ruining a cabinetry. Can you recommend a low-heat, amplifier or receiver with a dock or USB connection? I also want to charge the iPod through the doc/USB if it does not generate additional heat.

Verified Answer
  • Mas
    We have 4 speakers but connected to only Left and Right.

Are you saying that you are only using the front channels on your Yamaha RX-V471 receiver and that you have 2 speakers connected to the left front and then 2 speakers connected to the right front channels? If so, this could be the cause of the heat issue. That Yamaha receiver is not designed to power a 4 ohm load (what you have with 2 Polk Atrium 4 speakers connected to one receiver channel).

That receiver can run a 5 channel stereo mode where all the left channels get the left channel audio and the same for the right channels. I would recommend trying this (if you have not already) and see if that cuts down on the heat issue.

It would be great to know if it works so please let us know.

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul

All Replies
  • Mas
    We have 4 speakers but connected to only Left and Right.

Are you saying that you are only using the front channels on your Yamaha RX-V471 receiver and that you have 2 speakers connected to the left front and then 2 speakers connected to the right front channels? If so, this could be the cause of the heat issue. That Yamaha receiver is not designed to power a 4 ohm load (what you have with 2 Polk Atrium 4 speakers connected to one receiver channel).

That receiver can run a 5 channel stereo mode where all the left channels get the left channel audio and the same for the right channels. I would recommend trying this (if you have not already) and see if that cuts down on the heat issue.

It would be great to know if it works so please let us know.

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul