iPhone 3G can't be charged by many car stereo head units

• Hi all,

The iPhone 3G requires docking units, chargers, docking cables, etc., to charge the phone over the USB pins on the dock connector or head unit connector cable. If the cable or dock you use, as with my Alpine head unit, charges iPods/iPhones over the FireWire pins, then your head unit will not charge your  iPhone 3G.

Some people have mentioned there will be adapters coming, but who knows how long that will take? In addition to switching the pins providing power, the voltage will also need to be reduced from 12v over the FireWire pins, to 5v for the USB pins.

Just a heads-up.

Perhaps our fine friends at Crutchfield can work with manufacturers to find adapter cables? (hint, hint) 

Brian 

[edited by: filipiak at 12:03 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Jul 14 2008]
  • filipiak:

Hi all,

The iPhone 3G requires docking units, chargers, docking cables, etc., to charge the phone over the USB pins on the dock connector or head unit connector cable. If the cable or dock you use, as with my Alpine head unit, charges iPods/iPhones over the FireWire pins, then your head unit will not charge your  iPhone 3G.

Some people have mentioned there will be adapters coming, but who knows how long that will take? In addition to switching the pins providing power, the voltage will also need to be reduced from 12v over the FireWire pins, to 5v for the USB pins.

Just a heads-up.

Perhaps our fine friends at Crutchfield can work with manufacturers to find adapter cables? (hint, hint) 

Brian 

So, they actually changed the PIN configuration for power?? I find that hard to believe, but believe it non-the-less. Thanks for the heads-up.

• It's not that they changed the pin configuration, it's that they stopped supporting the power over the (previously) FireWire power pins, and now only support power across the USB pins. Unfortunately, many manufacturers built cables only with power across the FireWire pins.
  • I seem to be having the opposite problem with my Pioneer deh-690ub. It will charge fine but it is not recognized by the HU and will not play.
  • My iPhone charges fine, but I can't play music through the head unit. I have a Pioneer DEH-690ub and when I connect it to the USB the screen says "format read", but I still can't get anything to happen.
  • The Pioneer iPod adapter(CD-IB100ii) does NOT work with the 3G iPhone - at least not for me.

I have a Pioneer DEH-P6900UB and a 3G iPhone.  I just purchased and tried installing the Pioneer iPod adapter(CD-IB100ii).  Although I was able to navigate the iPhone's playlists from my head unit, I had no sound and no charging.  I called Pioneer and their official response is that the adapter is for iPods and is not meant to support iPhone's (original or 3G).

I REALLY want to be able to just put my phone in a dock (in my car) and have it charge while playing music through my stereo.  I want the music to come from the dock connector, not the headphone jack.

If anyone knows or hears of anything that gets this done, please post here!  I would be very grateful.

• Hmmm, mileage must vary then, using a CD-IB100ii with my DEH-780MP, I could get music and charge my 1st gen iphone, and I can get music out of my 3G iphone, but no charge (just tried it yesterday).  Honestly it's not a killer for me personally, my 5th gen ipod will always be my main source, but I just like having the ability to connect up the iphone for those times I forgot to bring the ipod.
  • I have the original iPhone and when I connected it to some of the newer Pioneer models with the “iPod Ready” USB inputs, I had no problems whatsoever. I could use the phone with airplane mode on or off (this is not recommended by the way) and the Pioneers offered full control and display over the iPod section of the phone and the connection even charged the phone’s internal battery.

Keep in mind; this was the original iPhone and, as stated earlier in this thread, the power configuration has changed on the new 3G model. While I have not tested the new iPhone on these units, it’s entirely possible that the charging and/or playback would be affected with the new power configuration of the 3G model.

At this time, there aren’t any manufacturers, that I am aware of, that claim full compatibility with the new 3G iPhone.

Older “iPod Specific” interfaces (like the CD-IB100ii) will probably never be forwards compatible with any generation of the iPhone. As Pioneer told miltos1, these adapters were designed and produced before the original iPhone hit the market and do not have the capability and protocol to handle the iPhone. I’m sorry I don’t have better news for you there.

Hopefully, we will begin to see new stereo models that are “Made for iPhone” in the next year or so. Keep in mind; any models that do claim compatibility will probably require you to use “Airplane Mode” which disables the GSM section of the phone. This means no incoming or outgoing calls, text messages, or voicemail while the phone is connected to the stereo.

I hope that helps.  

www.crutchfield.com/Ryan

• My Pioneer FH-P8000BT works great with my iphone 3G. I'm connected via Bluetooth for the phone part and via the included USB cable for the ipod part. It does it all; initiates and answers calls, charges the phone, plays and controls my music, even downloaded my phonebook to the receiver so that I can scroll and select my contacts from the receiver.

The iphone does display a warning that the device wasn't designed to work with the iphone, do I want to use airplane mode. I just ignore the warning message and it works.

• iPhone 3G owners will find the best compatibility with car stereos that offer USB inputs that are "iPod Ready”. Because these connections are designed to provide power (charging) via the USB pins, there should be little, if any , issues using the iPhone 3G with these models (Kenwood and Pioneer both offer many models with iPod supported USB inputs).

Keep in mind, it is highly recommended that you put the iPhone into “Airplane Mode” while connected to any device that is not “Made for iPhone.” The electromagnetic frequencies generated by the phones can cause interference with highly sensitive, consumer grade A/V components. This is no more evident than when the phone is directly connected to the component with a dock connector. Because the phone is constantly searching for network “cells”, the resulting interference may be heard through the audio system and, in the worst of cases, blow out the speakers.

I hope that helps.

www.crutchfield.com/Ryan

• I spoke with Pioneer customer support and they indicated the ipod portion of the iphone 3g would not work, only bluetooth/phone functionality.  I'm assuming Pioneer is being conservative due to EMI risk and potential to dammage speakers or other equipment.

Has anyone else had success with a FH-P8000BT and iphone 3g?

• FWIW, my wife's iphone 3G also works with the FH-P8000BT. It's not flawless but pretty close. Sometimes I have to turn the iPhone to ipod mode and cycle back through the sources in order for it to play but it never fails to play. It pops up the message asking me if I want to go to airplane mode. I always say no and it works great, sounds great, microphone on my steering column is crystal clear (according to people I call) even when the top is down at 70mph in my Miata. I can also access the other functions of the iphone while it's playing music. I agree that Pioneer is probably just being cautious.
  •  

iPhone 3G can't be charged by many car stereo head units

<Mod Edit: Removed SPAM.>

[edited by: TigerHeli at 11:08 AM (GMT -5) on Thu, Apr 12 2012] iphone apps android appsNokia