Ladysmith Black Mambazo

• I saw these guys in concert last night. They were really spectacular. All a cappella with magnificent harmonies. This was the group that was featured on "Graceland" (for those of your old enough to remember 1985).

If you get a chance, seeing them is worth the ticket price and then some.

While I'm thinking of it, since music is the focus of all of this hardware we deal with, it might be nice to have a music related forum. Divvied up into jazz, pop, loud obnoxious head-banging junk (kidding), etc.

I'm always looking for new music. Recently I tend to look outside the mainstream. How about you?

RESIma

• Outside the mainstream.

Way off into Cody Canada and the Departed, lately.

Lenny Kravitz' new stuff.

GLH Geeked

• I'll check it out.

I've been grooving to Tom Scott's Be Bop United lately. Very tight.

RESIma

• Is that Jazz ? Old or newer ?

GLH Geeked

• It is jazz. It was released in 2006, but is straightforward bebop, and very well done. You can sample it on Amazon if you want to see if it suits your tastes before you buy. If you do buy you'll probably want to get the CD and rip to lossless. It's worth the effort.

RESIma

• Yep, that's how I roll. iTunes. But I don't buy from the store. I buy the CD and upload to highest bitrate on iTunes, then I have it on my home desktop which is connected to my home audio system (HDMI rules), and it syncs to my iPod Touch, which rides along with me.

GLH Geeked

• Cool. Are you using an external DAC? It makes a huge difference.

RESIma

• No. In my truck, it uses the Pioneer DAC instead of the iPod. At home I have an older JVC audio/video reciever (5x100, 4xBose 301's on isolated metal stands, 1xBose center, 1xInfinity 12" powered sub) that is connected to the TV, which is my cpu monitor, which is connected to cpu via HDMI, so apparently using the DAC in the JVC. Sounds really good !

GLH Geeked

• GLH
    In my truck, it uses the Pioneer DAC instead of the iPod.

That counts!

GLH
    ...so apparently using the DAC in the JVC

That counts, too!

The DAC's in iPods and in PC sound cards are pretty poor. I'm sure you're getting far superior results by bypassing them.

RESIma

• Kinda wierd sometimes a CD or a song or 2 on a CD won't convert at as high of bitrate as others, then sometimes during playback, those low bitrate songs sound crackly or wierdly distorted. Is that normal ?

GLH Geeked

• GLH

Kinda wierd sometimes a CD or a song or 2 on a CD won't convert at as high of bitrate as others, then sometimes during playback, those low bitrate songs sound crackly or wierdly distorted. Is that normal ?

I've never experienced that, but  I use Linux so I've never experienced any problems of any kind ever. Geeked

Seriously, what software do you use to rip your music?

RESIma

• If you like hip-hop/rap I'm a huge Tech N9ne fan (as well as everyone else signed to his label). He's got great messages in some of his songs and sings/raps more about his life and not stupid unrelated stuff that current mainstream artists do. I'm also digging Hopsin. If your into darker older Eminem style he's great. When it comes to metal/punk rock I'm really into Hed P.E. If you like that type of music I would suggest them any day of the week. When it comes to country I'm real big into Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Brantley Gilbert, Reba McEntire, Loretta Lynn, and Toby Keith as well as others. Also Colt Ford and Big Smo are mixed in my Country track list. There more a fusion of rap and country. I would suggest you listen to it even if you don't like either of those. It's defiantly something different and interesting. There is a lot more then this that I listen too but if I get started on all of it you guys would never read my post LOL.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• I use iTunes exclusively and already know you are gonna Dog it.

I don't listen to much hiphp or rap. Being a musician, I actually don't consider it real music. I do recognize it as an artform, however, and I'm not hating.

I don't listen to alot of country music, either, but I dig some classic country and I'm a fan of Outlaw Country. I like Blake Shelton, Toby Keith, Darius Rucker, some others.

GLH Geeked

• GLH
    I don't listen to alot of country music, either, but I dig some classic country and I'm a fan of Outlaw Country. I like Blake Shelton, Toby Keith, Darius Rucker, some others.

Were in agreement here on these artists but...

GLH
    I don't listen to much hiphp or rap. Being a musician, I actually don't consider it real music. I do recognize it as an artform, however, and I'm not hating.

Explain further please. Why do you not consider it music? Your not the first person who I have heard say this and I always get a different answer as to why they feel this way (most of the time it's honestly the stupidest reason ever conceived). So to cure my curiosity I'd just like to know what your reasoning is. 

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• GLH
    I use iTunes exclusively and already know you are gonna Dog it.

Not at all. I'm not familiar enough with it to say one way or another if it's any good. Do you rip to MP3 right off the CD or do you rip to lossless and then convert?

I'm not into hiphop or rap either. I heard a few things by Wyclef Jean that I thought were OK. I think modern country music (an a lot of current music in general) is too processed and has lost a lot as a result. Too many tracks and too many pieces of tracks pieced together to make a whole sounds manufactured rather than musical, in my opinion.

RESIma