Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Android/iPod forum app

Off-Topic

Off-Topic
The place to talk about stuff like music, video games, and movies

Android/iPod forum app

• Okay so now that I have my SGP I'm gonna cry for an app from CF lol. I'd like to be able to post to the forums from my SGP or Nook (both run Android) but I can't. It won't allow me to make posts because neither my SGP or Nook recognizes the description field as a text field. I'd like to be able to contribute to the forum when I don't have my computer on me but I can't. CF do you think you could either make an app or make a mobile version of the forum part of the site that is mobile friendly? Am I the only one who would like something like this or does anyone else want these capabilities. Just an idea/suggestion I figured I would throw out there. What does everyone else think?

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• I think it's a great idea - not sure how hard it would be to develop it.  Are there other forums that the Android devices can work on?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Don't know because I haven't tried lol. I may test it later to find out. I know it would be somewhat difficult to do. It is a lot of coding for an app even a simple app such as posting to a forum. I would think a mobile site would be easier than an app but I don't know. I CF has a mobile version for there main site. Even if they just changed the way the message box worked (i.e worked similar to a facebook update or youtube comment) it would work fine.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• Tested on Google groups and I can post (expected though seeing as anything Android works with Google). I also tested the hedgehog site and it works too.

• http://www.mobilecommercedaily.com/2009/12/02/online-electronics-retailer-crutchfield-enters-mobile-commerce

The mobile version runs in the background from the same url as the main site - not sure if that can be done for the forum or not, though.

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Hey Guys,

We use 3rd party software to host the forums, and as such are at the mercy of the capabilities of the software. However, we are looking at the possibility of upgrading the software to the latest version - which is much more mobile compatibility (at least that's what I'm told - haven't tested it on mobile yet - actually I've been told it's fully mobile compatible ... we'll see). 

I'll provide an update on this as soon as I have something to share.

• Jeff Kitchen
    We use 3rd party software to host the forums, and as such are at the mercy of the capabilities of the software. However, we are looking at the possibility of upgrading the software to the latest version - which is much more mobile compatibility (at least that's what I'm told - haven't tested it on mobile yet - actually I've been told it's fully mobile compatible ... we'll see).

Well then upgrade lol. I want mobile support!!! I'd love to be able to post from my SGP and Nook. I actually prefer to carry my nook around vs. my laptop because it's lighter. Who do you use for the forum software (if your allowed to tell me)? Don't know how it works but maybe they have an app that's works with there software that you can log in with to post to forums they run.

Jeff Kitchen
    I'll provide an update on this as soon as I have something to share.

Keep us updated.

• Just sent you a message about the software.

• BIG teddy
    Who do you use for the forum software (if your allowed to tell me)?

Telligent - Not sure I was supposed to divulge that, but you could find it in the page source if you knew where to look ...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=telligent+android+app

2nd link:

http://telligent.com/community/ideas/f/549/t/1063291.aspx

Implies it might work better with Chrome or Safari, but based on how Android is pretty much Google anyway, I suspect you might be using Chrome anyway ...

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

• Jeff Kitchen
    Just sent you a message about the software.

OOPS ...!!!

• Violla (not sure if thats the correct spelling lol) Firefox for android works. Tried dolphin and thats a no go. I would like to use Chrome but beta only works with ice cream sandwitch I believe. Problem with Firefox is that in landscape mode it defaults to a text entry screen an will type but I cant see what I'm typing. So I have to type in vertical mode but font is so small I can't read it all that well so when there are 500 spelling mistkes thats why. My only other problem with firefox is that it can be slow to open pages. Still would like to see an app or something. Inntelligent doesnt offer one as far as I can tell. Hopefully I can say that on the forum if not you can yank that last sentence. Man it's difficult typing when you can't read it lol.

[edited by: BIG teddy at 4:02 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, Apr 24 2012]

• Opera for Android - Not sure if it will be better, but it's worth a shot ...