Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Upcoming Community Upgrade

Off-Topic

Off-Topic
The place to talk about stuff like music, video games, and movies

Upcoming Community Upgrade

• Hey All,

I just wanted to post a quick note and let you know that we plan to upgrade the community site this Wednesday (barring any unforeseen issues). While this a pretty major upgrade, I suspect most of what you will see will cosmetic changes. The forums will still function the same - they'll just be prettier. I'll try to post a few screencaps of the how things will look with this post, and please let me know if you have any questions. After the upgrade feel free to respond in this thread with any feedback and/or issues you might run into. You can also email directly jeffk (at) crutchfield(dot)com

[edited by: Jeff Kitchen at 8:03 AM (GMT -5) on Wed, Sep 12 2012]

• Everything seems to be going smoothly, and we are currently slated to upgrade the community software between 6AM and 8AM Eastern tomorrow morning. Again, let me know if you run into any problems and/or notice anything strange.

• Awesome. Definitely looking forward to this. Is this the newer version of the software you had mentioned a while ago?

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• It's the latest version of the same software we have been using (Community Server by Telligent). The functionality should all be the same, but the look will be much improved - and I believe the newer software will also be a little more user friendly (especially to new members on the forums).

• Sounds good! Looking forward to it.

• Sorry I didn't get a chance to post about this yesterday. We ran into a minor issue when doing one of the dry runs on the upgrade. We should be able to get that worked out today - so we are now targeting tomorrow morning 9/13 for the upgrade. Thanks all.

• Unfortunately we ran into a couple of snags. Sorry about the interruption. We're back to the standard site for now, and will likely try another shot at the upgrade next week.

• Welp that stinks. Hopefully you all get it worked out.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• Jeff Kitchen
    we plan to upgrade the community site this Wednesday (barring any unforeseen issues).

try, try again! 

(hopefully my next post won't be "third time's a charm!")

• honestly, the biggest complaint i hear about is a lack of customizable avatars, so if you could just fix that one thing, most members would be thrilled.  the forum is pretty clean and tidy, which is appreciated, based on the feedback i get.  but in a world of wildly customizable characters with the advancement in gaming, ppl don't so much like having to choose between a few pre-selected options.  i think it would add to the number of re-visiting if users logged in and said "hey, i remember building that cool avatar!  this site is fun AND informative!" 

the basic avatars should be retained, tho, for the person who just wants to click on a happy-looking character and say "that one represents me well enough... i don't really care... answer the question!" 

• maybe building up "post points" (currently worthless, much to my chagrin) could unlock more avatar options?  like add new t-shirt designs at 500 points or the option of a pose resting against a powerful-looking speaker at 1000?  or heck, a mustache option at 100?  customizable avatars are something modern computer/gaming console users are accustomed to, and it seems a pity not to use that as a means of growing the following.

• even if an automated e-mail came up at 20 post points saying "new skin tone unlocked!" popped up, i'd bet the number of "one-post wonders" would be immediately be cut in half.  most ppl would automatically think "hmm, might as well update my avatar to better represent me, now that i have more options."

• Wow it's back. I felt I had no purpose in life. Self esteem is suffering.

GLH Geeked

• or, "You've received 5 replies to your thread(s)!  you can now add an object (skateboard, ski goggles, whatever) to your avatar!").

i guess i'm mostly focused on avatar customization bcuz that's the primary complaint i get from forum members.  everything else is fine.

• GLH

Wow it's back. I felt I had no purpose in life. Self esteem is suffering.

you have any suggestive advice for the next upgrade, GLH?  you're a pretty regular member... i'd like you to weigh-in on my thoughts and add your own.