Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Here goes some more of my crazy ideas...

Off-Topic

Off-Topic
The place to talk about stuff like music, video games, and movies

Here goes some more of my crazy ideas...

• Okay so I was thinking again and I kind of had an idea. Everyone knows how we have the points system hear on the forums and so far CF has implemented them into any sort of discounts or anything. My thought is maybe having some sort of point group system where if you fall in between a certain point range you can enter a drawing or something to win stuff (maybe like once a year or something). Now I'm thinking the prize could be like HU, TV, remote, etc. (basically anything CF sells) that could be given to the winner but the winner in turn must kind of put it through the paces of using it in everyday life. Just playing with it and using it. Then they would have to create a thread with a detailed review of the item. Kind of like a you get this for free but we want to know what you think of it and we want to publish your review kind of deal. I can foresee this being very expensive and likely not a plausible or feasible idea but I just thought it was kind of neat. It would also kind of give a point to the points system LOL.

The other thought was maybe instead of what I said above for a prize maybe the winner could just get a CF gift card or something. This would be more feasible I would think, because giving someone a 20 or even 50 dollar gift card will usually mean they spend more than what the gift card is worth (at least in my case LOL). 

Hopefully what I said made sense. What does everyone else think about this?

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• I'm taking my points to Mardi Gras this year and throwing them at hot chicks instead of the beads that everybody else will be throwing.

• Great idea. I would even be happy with a party hosted by CF where we could do this with our points LMAO.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• neat idea!  maybe the next update to the forum can include something like this, but interest weighs heavily here.  not really sure CF (or really anyone) cares much about post points.

points have pretty much been a bone of contention amongst MODS, and the current system is obviously flawed (where if you hate a post and rate it 1 star, the post actually gets MORE points!).  plus, the ranking system (the little green bars below your name) is not based on points anyway, just post count.  so if i have 100 posts with an average of 30 points (which would be outstanding, if not impossible at 3000 points), i will be ranked less than someone with 101 posts and an average of 12 points (less than half, 1320 points)... doesn't really make sense.

CF may be closer to abandoning the whole point system altogether than increasing it's weight at this point, but if other users have feedback about it (i know i do) it may generate some buzz and points may actually mean something in the future!

• The forums are a marketing tool, nothing more and nothing less. The "points" are a non-reward reward, which is why I poke fun at the idea of "being in the top ten" and so on.

I'm retired (since age 50), and I participate in the forums because I enjoy it, and because it keeps me sharp. I have no expectations of any tangible reward from Crutchfield, and I owe them nothing. If they want to reward me for my expertise, and to insure that it serves there needs, they can make me an offer (they won't, they can't afford me). If they have a problem with my contributions, they can boot me off. No skin off my nose.

My advice on this forum is free for the taking, and my opinions are not for sale. I wouldn't have it any other way, and I wouldn't accept a stipend for participation in the forums.

RESIma

• see above post for definition of "contention."

• J Ro

see above post for definition of "contention."

contention /kənˈtɛntʃən/ - a point advanced or maintained in a debate, or a line of argument taken in its support; the subject matter of discussion of strife; a position taken.

Not to be contentious, but I would definitely contend that the content of the definition above defines contention in a definitive fashion. I am certainly content that the content of the aforementioned definition is consistent with the context of the current conversation.

Definitely.

RESIma

• Not going to totally trash the idea, but I'm really not comfortable with it either ...

BIG teddy
    Now I'm thinking the prize could be like HU, TV, remote, etc. (basically anything CF sells) that could be given to the winner but the winner in turn must kind of put it through the paces of using it in everyday life. Just playing with it and using it. Then they would have to create a thread with a detailed review of the item. Kind of like a you get this for free but we want to know what you think of it and we want to publish your review kind of deal.

Lots of problems here - among them:

• I did that with my Sony HU that I purchased, and I wrote it up for my JVC, but I didn't ever get around to posting it.  But my day job is technical writing and I enjoy it.  You have issues with how well most members can write and also what constitutes a "detailed review" - obvious "This unit is great. The end." doesn't cut it, but are you going to require a 5-paragraph review, how would it be enforced.
    • Bias - Most people aren't going to select a free car stereo and write a review saying "This item really sucks - I got it for free, but I'm not even comfortable giving it away."
    • Bias and Perception - Let's say I got a free Alpine HU from Crutchfield.  All of a sudden, all of my thread replies tend to say Alpine is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  In essence, I accepted payment from Crutchfield in the price of the item in exchange for saying good things about it and them.  It is more subtle than that, but it is there.  It is the difference between a magazine like Consumer Reports that supposedly buys all the items they test, and all the car magazines (Motor Trend, Automobile) that "never wrote about a car they didn't like" b/c if they write a negative review they'll be the last magazine to get the next model to test.
    • Timing - Perhaps the hardest thing to set up.  I bought the Sony HU, liked it, wrote a review after a month or so - then replaced it a year later - mostly b/c the USB index time was slow and the illumination didn't match the dash.  The review was mostly positive, but I wouldn't recommend the unit now after having used my JVC.  And Crutchfield really wouldn't want me to post a review after a year of ownership when the product was discontinued.  But if I post a review the day the item arrives, I haven't had time to really use it.  Crutchfield extended the return policy to 60 days (it used to be 30) for similar reasons (I think).  When you buy or get something new, you WANT to like it - and often it takes longer than 30-60 days to decide "Actually, the wasn't really right for me - I like some of the features, but I dislike a lot of others".

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I agree with every point TH makes here. Where there is compensation there will be competition for "the prize" and that can't help but create bias in favor of the prize-giver.

This forum may be a bit messy at times, but you will get an honest opinion (or 12) and the chances of getting a problem worked out are pretty darn good.

BTW, Thanks for the ride in your helicopter TH. It was a blast. Big Smile

[edited by: Alex W at 9:28 AM (GMT -5) on Thu, Feb 9 2012]

RESIma

• Alex W
    BTW, Thanks for the ride in your helicopter TH. It was a blast.

Glad you liked it - I'm still trying to get you the mouse pad - but I think you might have to settle for the avatar.Devil

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Hey Teddy,

Another good idea, and I've forwarded this on to Marketing as well - as a side note I wanted to let you know that I have had some conversations with our buyers about some "try it out and tell us what you think" giveaways/loaners for community members. I'll see if I can get some traction on this again.

• Jeff Kitchen
    "try it out and tell us what you think" giveaways/loaners for community members

I'm really NOT trying to shoot the idea down, but even in the ideal world, you have three big issues here:

• Criticality / Awareness of the reviewer.  (How well can the reviewer differentiate between the products).
    • Experience level of the reviewer.  (How many other products are being compared).
    • Preferences of the reviewer. - A good review should weed these out, but saying Product A has Feature B, which I really like.  And then readers can determine if they care about Feature B.

I'll use myself as an example and some potential reviews:

• Head Units - This is really my strongest suite.  I've had a fair amount of head units over the years.  I'm fussy about what I like and dislike.  Recently I've had a Sony and a JVC.  Both sounded much better than the OEM deck, but I expected the JVC to really just have more functionality than the Sony, but it also had better sound.  Using my chart above, I'm good on the criticality, but as far as awareness - I haven't had any recent Pioneer or Alpine decks, so I can't say first hand how they compare.  And I don't have an iPod.  It turns out my JVC has some significant issues with iPod playback, but since I don't own one, I didn't run into them.
    • Speakers - this is perhaps the critical example for me.  I have no doubt that aftermarket speakers would sound better than the OEM ones I am running, but I listened to some Polk and Kicker speakers on a store display recently and couldn't tell the difference.  Okay, let's say Crutchfield let's me test some Polk speakers.  They SHOULD sound better than the OEM speakers.  I'm not sure if they will sound better than Kicker speakers, but if I couldn't hear the difference on a sound board, I'm unlikely to tell the difference in a car.  Assuming I want to install a bunch of different speakers in my car (not really), which limits my experience level.  Finally, I might like silk tweeters and a user might like metal, so the speakers I like best might not work for everyone.
    • Amps - Similar to the above - I'm sure a Sound Ordnance amp would sound better than the JVC HU internal amp.  I assume a Zapco amp would sound even better and a Boss amp would sound worse, but I don't know how much better or worse-or if I could tell, or if Crutchfield would want to supply amps that they don't carry and if I would want to install them.

I'm rambling ...

• TigerHeli

I'm really NOT trying to shoot the idea down, but even in the ideal world, you have three big issues here:

• Criticality / Awareness of the reviewer.  (How well can the reviewer differentiate between the products).
    • Experience level of the reviewer.  (How many other products are being compared).
    • Preferences of the reviewer. - A good review should weed these out, but saying Product A has Feature B, which I really like.  And then readers can determine if they care about Feature B.

I can see what you mean with all of these ideas Tiger and I can i agree with you too an extent. I would personally much rather read a review though that does not compare two different products, unless the point of the review is just that, a comparison between two products of which the reviewer has both of. But in all likelihood a give-a-way/loaner product provided by CF would be just one product so comparison is not really needed anyways. I would expect the review to list likes and dislikes as well a an overall opinion. Also some explanation to some of the features and how well they work.

Experience is a good point. I wouldn't want a to read a review from someone who has no experience what-so-ever with what they are reviewing. Unless the point of the review would be to review CF tech support Devil. The problem here though lies in that most of the experienced people on the forums are also the most active. This brings a problem to the give-a-ways because if it were based on how many posts/points you have then most of us would have quite a bit of free stuff LOL.

Preferences then of course would be person to person. What I look for in a unit is different than what you may look for. But this goes back to explaining features in the review and what you thought of them. You may not have a preference but as long as you can explain the feature, how it works, and how well it works, then a preference really doesn't matter. But then that ties into experience.

• More what I am getting at is frame of reference ...

Okay - let's take it as a given the Pyle speakers are better than the OEM speakers in my Focus (even when those were new, which they are), and probably worse than most any other speakers you can buy.

Crutchfield sends me some Pyle speakers (just go with it), and I test them and they would sound great to me.  So you would read a review of how fantastic Pyle speakers are and would buy them when say, Pioneer speakers would be much better and you would hate the Pyles.

Anyway ....

• True, but the review would be in the form of a thread. People could ask questions about the speakers and therefore others could explain to them how a set of Pioneers are better. If you as a reviewer have some background with other speakers then by all means go ahead and compare with others that you have experience with. A set of Pyle speakers may be just as good as a set of Pioneers in your opinion. But the point of reveiwing an item, in my mind, is to go over everything you like and dislike about it and your overall opinion. Then a potential buyer can look at that and he or she may have more questions which would lead them to either ask CF or us here on the forum. I have read glowing reviews about Pyle speakers, does that mean there great, well maybe. It depends on what you are looking for. Plus even if you do buy from CF based on the review you have ample time to put them in give them a whirl and decide for yourself if you like them or not. Then you can send them back if you don't.

I guess the point of the review process would be geared more towards getting more reviews on items that don't already have them anyways (doubtful that would be on a set of Pyle's, but more likely on something that is so expensive I doubt CF would give it too us). The reviews though would help generate more traffic on the forums which I would safely bet 70%+ of those buying products on CF don't even know about. Hear they can ask questions about personal experience from the reviewer as well as every other community member.