a little off the subject...k&n air intakes

Other Products

Other Products
The place to talk about other types of consumer electronics and devices

a little off the subject...k&n air intakes

This question is answered

i know this is off subject but i know crutchfield has them for sale but i was wondering if anyone knew anythign about these..i got one installed and it makes a loud whistling sound when the pettal is depressed int he right spot. i can hear it breathe pretty loud when the motor is cold but that gets quietter and its cool soundsing but the whitsle can get annoying.

any ideas

Verified Answer
  • Check that all the joints are sealed properly and that's about all you can do.

I had one of the standard round ones in the 80's on a V-8, but it didn't sound any different with it - that I could tell.

No offense, but personally, now that I'm not a high-school kid - I wouldn't bother with them.

A paper filter for my car is $10 and lasts 30,000 miles (and doesn't get dirty in that time - oddly enough).

A K&N would be about $50 and is guaranteed for 10 years but needs cleaning $10 solution every 50,000 miles (used to be every 10,000).  I put about 10,000 miles/year on my car, so in the time with the K&N warranty, I will go through three paper filters for $30, so I didn't save any money.  K&N claims a 1-4 HP increase, which on a 110 HP engine will barely be noticeable.  They don't quote a mileage increase, but I think 10% would be generous, which for me is about 2 MPG - noticeable, but not fantastic (and I don't think that's usually realistic).

But you didn't ask about any of that .....

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • Check that all the joints are sealed properly and that's about all you can do.

I had one of the standard round ones in the 80's on a V-8, but it didn't sound any different with it - that I could tell.

No offense, but personally, now that I'm not a high-school kid - I wouldn't bother with them.

A paper filter for my car is $10 and lasts 30,000 miles (and doesn't get dirty in that time - oddly enough).

A K&N would be about $50 and is guaranteed for 10 years but needs cleaning $10 solution every 50,000 miles (used to be every 10,000).  I put about 10,000 miles/year on my car, so in the time with the K&N warranty, I will go through three paper filters for $30, so I didn't save any money.  K&N claims a 1-4 HP increase, which on a 110 HP engine will barely be noticeable.  They don't quote a mileage increase, but I think 10% would be generous, which for me is about 2 MPG - noticeable, but not fantastic (and I don't think that's usually realistic).

But you didn't ask about any of that .....

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• kris03

i know this is off subject but i know crutchfield has them for sale but i was wondering if anyone knew anythign about these..i got one installed and it makes a loud whistling sound when the pettal is depressed int he right spot. i can hear it breathe pretty loud when the motor is cold but that gets quietter and its cool soundsing but the whitsle can get annoying.

any ideas

Sorry I just noticed the date its really an mook point now. I have been bent over automobiles since 1970 professionally. First Question What kind and type of vehical is it that relates to your inquiry ?

2. What other alterations have been attemted?

what are the specifications of this vehicle?

What is your climate like?

Are you noticing any other problems?

In 1960s and half of the 70s preformace enhancements were  common. You would finish the preformace upgrades at a later time when the money was available. Now Vehicles are designed by engineers with nothing better to do but add stupid *** to drve up the cost of a new car.

Then our out of controll government provides the manufactores withstrict guidlines to meet for milage and pollution, driving the cost of a new car even higher. The only problem is very few other countries have this nonesense to deal with and purchase cars at 1968 prices right off the boat. New cars in the usa are computer comtrolled, with very little room for automatice adjustment. If you increase air flow you must also increase fuel delivery unrestrict the exhaust  axcess the computers set program and make all the necessary adjustment to prvet damaging you ride?

Save Your money. Go back to school and earn a bachlorres degree. Move to Canada, and enjoy yourselt.  Our eletted officials have gotten rich running this great nation into the ground. they serve thier slf interest for the rest of there turm, cause as much damage as they can, and move on. Better yet serve your country best by organizing a overthtough and restructure this fine country so we all can be proud of our nation again over 80% of the elected officials need to move out or enjoy the fine prison system  they build to hide to poor !

• Oh thats ok...its a 99 ford ranger xlt supercab. umm 3.0L V6. it was cool to cold temperatures. no other alternations made yet, waiting on the dual exhaust upgrade. and that is the only problem im experiencing.

• By "bent over automobiles, professionally" I assume you mean you work on cars for a living, not...well...you know (although the latter would account for the hostility, I suppose).

Anyway...you can still drive an old car and load it up with whatever kind of junk you want. From a supercharger to a little plastic dog whose head bounces up and down and whose eyes light up when you hit the brakes. Is this a great country or what?

[edited by: Alex W at 5:18 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, Jun 3 2010]

RESIma

• You can also do the same thing with newer cars as well - there are mod chips and re-programmers - you just need to be careful of emission laws if they apply.

Also, you can often play games with older engines in newer chassis or vice versa.

Same games - just a little shift in the rulebook.