Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

"HomePlug Compatible" Surge Protectors

Other Products

Other Products
The place to talk about other types of consumer electronics and devices

"HomePlug Compatible" Surge Protectors

This question is answered

Hi, I just bought an HDTV, AVR, speakers, etc.  I'd like to protect them with a surge protector.  However, my new satellite provider (several different people at Dish Network) told me I cannot plug the satellite receiver into a regular surge protector since it can interfere with satellite  service updates (although I can plug everything else into a regular surge protector).  They said I need a "HomePlug compatible" surge protector.  After Googling, these devices seem fairly uncommon and seem to apply mostly to home networking/broadband applications.  So I'm confused.  What does everybody else (with Dish sat. service) use to protect their gear?  

Verified Answer
  • Home Plug is a communications technology that uses the AC power lines in your home to provide an ethernet connection to your router. Surge suppressors can block the signal and disrupt communication.

The best solution is to connect your Dish receiver directly to a port on your router or switch using a Cat5 (or better) data cable. An alternative would be to use a wireless connection. Dish Network supports all three. If you want to use a standard surge suppressor, choose an option other than Home Plug for internet connectivity.

RESIma

All Replies
  • Home Plug is a communications technology that uses the AC power lines in your home to provide an ethernet connection to your router. Surge suppressors can block the signal and disrupt communication.

The best solution is to connect your Dish receiver directly to a port on your router or switch using a Cat5 (or better) data cable. An alternative would be to use a wireless connection. Dish Network supports all three. If you want to use a standard surge suppressor, choose an option other than Home Plug for internet connectivity.

RESIma