SDARS Set top units

Other Products

Other Products
The place to talk about other types of consumer electronics and devices

SDARS Set top units

This question is answered

I see many SDARS (Satellite Digital Audio Radio Service) set top units that are either specific to a head unit or to a car maker. My factory has a CAN BUS input (which I assume is for the data)  plus signal input. Wouldn't any CAN BUS IO-compatible device be controllable

Verified Answer
  • Hey ParrotSquawk,

You hit the nail on the head. The problem is finding a satellite receiver that is controllable via CAN BUS and that’s not built by the OEM. Usually the vehicle manufacturer will sell one that will work, but they tend to be a bit pricey. If you are looking for an aftermarket solution, that’s where it gets more difficult.

I hope that helps.

www.crutchfield.com/bio/JP
All Replies
  • Hey ParrotSquawk,

You hit the nail on the head. The problem is finding a satellite receiver that is controllable via CAN BUS and that’s not built by the OEM. Usually the vehicle manufacturer will sell one that will work, but they tend to be a bit pricey. If you are looking for an aftermarket solution, that’s where it gets more difficult.

I hope that helps.

www.crutchfield.com/bio/JP
  • If the STU's are pretty generic except for plug and pinout, why won't any other one with a one-off connector be controllable by a factory HU?

• I'm not sure that is the case. "Pretty generic" may not be good enough. As I understand it (I'm no expert) CAN-BUS provides the means of transmission and defines the protocol, but that does not mean that the commands themselves will be consistant from device to device. For something as simple as STU's one would think this to be the case, but look at the diversity of commands used by the manufacturers of home A/V components, most of which can be transmitted via standard IR or data protocols.

Anyone else more familiar with this?

RESIma