Recommendation for Satellite Radio

Other Products

Other Products
The place to talk about other types of consumer electronics and devices

Recommendation for Satellite Radio

This question is answered

I am thinking of getting a radion, which I would like to be able to move between vehicles and also be able to play in the house.

If this is even possible, what systems would you recommend and what all would I need to be able to do all of the above.

Thanks for your help.

Verified Answer
  • Yes and no on Sirius and XM being the same now.  They have merged, but you still subscribe to one or the other and then you can buy a la carte stations from the other one - but some radios do not support that.

You missed the deal two years ago with I think $400 lifetime subscription.  (I did too, btw).

Generally, Sirius has more music and XM has more sports and I'm a bigger fan of Sirius, but that's just me.

You have a slight other choice in that that make PnP's which will do what you want and then they also make portables, which is like an iPod for XM - built-in antenna and you can take it with you.

See this thread also.

As far as products, it really comes down to:

• Do you want the portable that you can listen to anywhere (like in the yard, walking through the neighborhood)
    • Do you want a la carte programming
    • Do you want the display color to match the car lighting.
    • Do you care about the feature I mentioned where you can surf what is playing on other channels without switching from what you are currently listening to.

Sportster 5 is a personal favorite, but is an older model and does not support ala carte. 

Starmate 5 is less expensive and supports ala carte (not sure about listing what you aren't listening to, but is only blue). 

Both of those are practically free with the subscription. 

Stratus 6 is new and supports ala carte, but isn't out yet.

XM Onyx is new - comparable to the Sportster 5, but does not do a la carte and probably not the surf without switching feature (seems to be getting dropped since I liked it), but you could get money back on it with the subscription.

The Stilletto 2 and XMp3 are both nice portables depending on which service you want.

Unless you are really picky like me, there really aren't any BAD choices in the bunch - especially if you haven't had satellite radio before.  I tend to play with them in the electronics stores and even the really basic units will give great entertainment options.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • I'm assuming radion is a typo and should be radio?

That is very much possible, what you likely want is a Plug-N-Play PnP Satellite radio.  It should come with a car kit and you will want to get a home kit for $50 or so.  Ideally you would want a second car kit for any additional vehicles and you will get better sound if the car stereo has an AUX input.

If you need to move it between many vehicles quickly (like with rental cars or a commercial fleet), you probably want an FM transmitter for it ,but the sound quality is not as good as the AUX input.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Oops...yes that was a typo "radion" --should have been radio.   My husband was coming; the radio is for him.

Do you have any suggestions for brands, or what to look for in selecting one?   Also, is Sirus and XM one and the same now?  

• Yes and no on Sirius and XM being the same now.  They have merged, but you still subscribe to one or the other and then you can buy a la carte stations from the other one - but some radios do not support that.

You missed the deal two years ago with I think $400 lifetime subscription.  (I did too, btw).

Generally, Sirius has more music and XM has more sports and I'm a bigger fan of Sirius, but that's just me.

You have a slight other choice in that that make PnP's which will do what you want and then they also make portables, which is like an iPod for XM - built-in antenna and you can take it with you.

See this thread also.

As far as products, it really comes down to:

• Do you want the portable that you can listen to anywhere (like in the yard, walking through the neighborhood)
    • Do you want a la carte programming
    • Do you want the display color to match the car lighting.
    • Do you care about the feature I mentioned where you can surf what is playing on other channels without switching from what you are currently listening to.

Sportster 5 is a personal favorite, but is an older model and does not support ala carte. 

Starmate 5 is less expensive and supports ala carte (not sure about listing what you aren't listening to, but is only blue). 

Both of those are practically free with the subscription. 

Stratus 6 is new and supports ala carte, but isn't out yet.

XM Onyx is new - comparable to the Sportster 5, but does not do a la carte and probably not the surf without switching feature (seems to be getting dropped since I liked it), but you could get money back on it with the subscription.

The Stilletto 2 and XMp3 are both nice portables depending on which service you want.

Unless you are really picky like me, there really aren't any BAD choices in the bunch - especially if you haven't had satellite radio before.  I tend to play with them in the electronics stores and even the really basic units will give great entertainment options.

Hope This Helps!!!