Proper programming code for XM (Audiovox) and Sony CDX-GT640UI?

Other Products

Other Products
The place to talk about other types of consumer electronics and devices

Proper programming code for XM (Audiovox) and Sony CDX-GT640UI?

• I purchased a new Sony CDX-GT640UI (love it) and had it professionally installed with XM.  The installers noted that the "new receiver (Sony)" was not listed on the programming interface and loaded the software for the Sony CDX-GT630UI.  It worked great for 2 days, then stopped working.  Pulled the XM/Audiovox receiver box and part of the circuit board had melted. 

I called Audiovox and got nowhere with thier customer service.  Called Sony and (with great service) determined the problem was with the XM/Audiovox hardware/software and not the Sony deck.

I have a new XM/Audiovox receiver box and it is working again, but not sure if it was a hardware problem, or the problem will repeat due to software not specifically matching the Sony deck.

Anyone else have this issue?  Solutions?  (Please don't suggest Sirius - not going there)

[edited by: Ryan at 11:49 AM (GMT -5) on Sat, Jan 9 2010]
  • Seems HIGHLY unlikely to me that improper software would work fine for two days and then melt the circuit board in the XM box, but I can't say for sure ....

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• If it happens again then it’s probably more than just a coincidence. That being said, I’m with TigerHeli on this one, if the firmware was incorrect, it wouldn’t fry the circuit board, it simply would not work.

Hopefully, you won’t experience this problem again, but if you do, I would not install a third tuner until the firmware for your newer Sony stereo is released.

www.crutchfield.com/Ryan