Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

XMP3 home dock "line out" does not work

Other Products

Other Products
The place to talk about other types of consumer electronics and devices

XMP3 home dock "line out" does not work

This question is answered

When I connect the mini plug to the "line out" jack & connect the RCA plugs to the "Aux In" input on either of my 2 Bose radios, I only hear a loud hum.  If I crank the "line out level" setting on the XMP3 to max, I get a very faint sound.  I am able to get sound out by using the headphone jack instead of the line out connector & cranking the XMP3 volume to max while using the same radios and mini plug/RCA cable that didn't work with the "line out" jack.  BTW: I had the power converter and the antenna connected to the dock in both scenarios.

Does anyone know a better solution or what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.

Verified Answer
  • Found a solution on XMFan.com.  It seems that Pioneer manufactures the XMP3 with very tight fitting jacks for both the headphone on the unit and the line out for the dock.  So, the solution is to push VERY hard when inserting the plug into the jack on the dock.  I found that with the cable connected to the Bose radio and the XMP3 not in the dock but with the antenna & power converter attached, I could tell when the connection was made when the loud hum went away.  So, I figured I either had it connected properly or it was broken.  Turns out it was connected, finally. 

I had this problem on two different docks. So, the chances of others having it is probably quite high.  Good Luck!

All Replies
  • Found a solution on XMFan.com.  It seems that Pioneer manufactures the XMP3 with very tight fitting jacks for both the headphone on the unit and the line out for the dock.  So, the solution is to push VERY hard when inserting the plug into the jack on the dock.  I found that with the cable connected to the Bose radio and the XMP3 not in the dock but with the antenna & power converter attached, I could tell when the connection was made when the loud hum went away.  So, I figured I either had it connected properly or it was broken.  Turns out it was connected, finally. 

I had this problem on two different docks. So, the chances of others having it is probably quite high.  Good Luck!

• Thanks cthorne. I purchased the XMP3 unit here in Ottawa (Canada) and I experienced the same loud hum when using the line out no matter what input I connected it to so I returned the unit. I exchanged it for a second XMP3 unit and same hum again. Then I read your post and pushed the cable harder into the line out port in the dock and now it works like a charm! Probably returned the first one for no reason. Obviously Pioneer mass produced them all like this. Thanks for the tip!

• After searching high and low on the web, I found your posts.  I just connected my XMP3 to a Cinemate Bose system.  And I was going crazy with the low sound and loud humming....   all it took was the extra push!   Such an easy solution! 

Thanks folks for posting it!