Need clarification on XM compatibility

Other Products

Other Products
The place to talk about other types of consumer electronics and devices

Need clarification on XM compatibility

This question is answered

I'm looking at some head-units for a work vehicle and my main requirement is that it has XM radio. I already have the XMDirect2 kit where you have to load the firmware from XM's online database. I want to use the kit since it is already purchased which means I need a head-unit that is supported by the firmware.

The dilemma is that I'm looking at units such as this KDC-X494 which show to be satellite ready, and there IS firmware for this model. But crutchfield shows that the XM cable does not fit this unit...which doesn't make sense to me.

I called tech support and he said there is a ton of gray area in all of the XM compatibility stuff and that the cable would fit but he didnt think the software would work....Does anybody know for sure? It sounds like I'm going to have to be a guinea pig.

thanks in advance.

Verified Answer
  • Hey chill,

When we list an XM adapter as not working on a current car stereo model it is generally due to there not being firmware for that specific adapter. The good news is that there may be new firmware released in the future for these models.

I hope that helps.

[edited by: J P at 1:54 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, May 19 2010]
    www.crutchfield.com/bio/JP
All Replies
  • Hey chill,

When we list an XM adapter as not working on a current car stereo model it is generally due to there not being firmware for that specific adapter. The good news is that there may be new firmware released in the future for these models.

I hope that helps.

[edited by: J P at 1:54 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, May 19 2010]
    www.crutchfield.com/bio/JP
  • the cable fit the unit without problem. There is definitely firmware available for the unit as well. I'm thinking this is going to work but I'll post back within the next few days with an answer.

• Just wanted to post a follow-up. I have installed the unit in the vehicle w/ the xm direct2 and kenwood harness as planned and am proud to say that the XM works flawlessly. I'm glad all the time I spent researching, searching, and calling different companies paid off. I'm not quite sure why there are such complicated compatibility issues between the head units and sat. radio.