Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Direct wiring of power

Other Products

Other Products
The place to talk about other types of consumer electronics and devices

Direct wiring of power

This question is answered

Have an XM Express unit installed in my 2001 F250.  It works great, but want to direct wire the power to turn on the unit when the truck radio is turned on and off when the radio is turned off.  I currently am using the cig. lighter for power. Thus, I have to turn off the XM after I turn the ignition off.   I know to use the 5V converter plug even when I direct wire to power source.  Do I splice the female plug (obtained in the kit I bought) to the "constant" power or the "acc. switched" power wire in the radio harness?  Or do I need to wire to some ignition source? Thanks for any help.

[edited by: haljam at 11:53 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Jul 13 2010]
Verified Answer
  • Make sure you connect the female plug correctly to 12V and ground - I'm not sure which is which, but don't get them reversed.

If you REALLY want it to turn on and off with the radio, you need an aftermarket HU with a remote turn on lead (unless perhaps you can verify the truck has an OEM amp that comes on and off with the radio).

If you want the radio to come on and off with the ignition switch, you want the acc. switched power wire.

If you wire it to the constant power wire, it will never turn off and will drain the battery, so I don't recommend that.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • Make sure you connect the female plug correctly to 12V and ground - I'm not sure which is which, but don't get them reversed.

If you REALLY want it to turn on and off with the radio, you need an aftermarket HU with a remote turn on lead (unless perhaps you can verify the truck has an OEM amp that comes on and off with the radio).

If you want the radio to come on and off with the ignition switch, you want the acc. switched power wire.

If you wire it to the constant power wire, it will never turn off and will drain the battery, so I don't recommend that.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Thanks.  I want the ignition to power the unit on and off rather than the radio.  I have the color codes for the wiring.  Constant power is the problem now.  I have to turn the unit off and sometimes I forget it.  I will try the acc. switched wire.  I just wasn't sure that I would have to choose the acc. on my radio; ie. AM/FM, CD, etc., before it would work.  Of course my radio has no button for satellite.  Thank you for your quick response.

• The radio should work the same way it does now (I'm assuming you are using either a wireless transmitter or wired FM modulator), so you would have to tune the radio to the proper FM frequency to pick up the XM signal. For the female cig lighter plug - you want the ACC switched wire. I think the center of the plug is positive and the ring is negative, but test that on the existing plug with a DMM (DO NOT take my word for it) and then check the wiring on the new plug to make sure it matches. Hope This Helps!!!

• The center pin is positive on 12V lighter/accessory sockets.

RESIma