Problems with HD Radio car radios

Other Products

Other Products
The place to talk about other types of consumer electronics and devices

Problems with HD Radio car radios

• "HD Radio Not High Definition"

"Despite iBiquity’s claims of improved sound quality and transmission, there have been numerous complaints about HD Radio from not only the radio industry but also consumers... Automakers are aware of the complaints associated with HD Radio. For example, in 2007, BMW released a Service Information Bulletin describing the problems associated with HD Radio, but noted that there was no retrofit kit or procedure available. The attorneys at Keefe Bartels are continuing their investigation into HD Radio and whether consumers are being forced to purchase technology that does not work as claimed. If you have experienced problems with your factory-installed HD radio receiver, we are interested in speaking to you."

http://www.keefebartels.com/CM/HotTopicsandAlerts/HotTopicsandAlerts168.asp

Keefe Bartels is soliciting complaints about HD Radio car radios. This goes to show that HD radios suffer even more on the move. I would beware of purchasing any HD Radio car radios. Make sure that a refund is available.

[edited by: TigerHeli at 2:02 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Sep 20 2010] Changed to discussion.
  • I was fairly disappointed with HD radio reception and overall, but as the BMW SIB points out - most of the problems are with the stations or with reception in general.

I don't agree with punishing automakers for offering new technology - depending on whether it is mandatory or optional, what it does to the price of the vehicle, and whether it can be bypassed.

That said, unless I move closer to downtown, I won't be shopping for HD radio again for any of my vehicles.

HDRadioFarce
    I would beware of purchasing any HD Radio car radios. Make sure that a refund is available.

Like it is if you purchase from CF!!!

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Well I think this may be on the verge of spamming but since TigerHeli did not say anything against it I don't know. No Crutchfield customers are being forced into purchasing a factory-installed HD radio... so I do not know why keefebartels.com wants to speak to anyone purchasing from Crutchfield Huh?. I guess this could be a warning for those looking to buy an HD receiver from CF but they should know the risks when buying it. Like TigerHeli said CF has a 30 day return policy for full refund and a 60 day return policy if the item is a CF signature item. Thanks for the info though... I guess Hmm.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• It's not spamming - although a term for a little guy that tends to live under bridges, a doll with brightly colored hair sticking up, or a very small slow fishing boat motor comes to mind ... Devil

Also, I suspect HDRadioFarce and PocketRadio might be the same member - which is likely a policy violation, but if it isn't to circumvent a banishment, the forum is pretty lenient on that as well.

BIG teddy
    so I do not know why keefebartels.com wants to speak to anyone purchasing from Crutchfield

That was not said:

"The attorneys at Keefe Bartels are continuing their investigation into HD Radio and whether consumers are being forced to purchase technology that does not work as claimed. If you have experienced problems with your factory-installed HD radio receiver, we are interested in speaking to you."

It is somewhat reasonable to assume that someone that bought a new car with HD radio and didn't like it, might come to CF to look for a replacement.  "Forced to purchase technology that does not work as claimed" seems like a bit of an embellishment, but that is lawyer's jobs.

BIG teddy
    I guess this could be a warning for those looking to buy an HD receiver from CF but they should know the risks when buying it.

More just stirring the pot, but ....

CF isn't as bad as other sites, but HD radio is frequently promoted as something akin to "CD quality on FM, FM quality on AM, the free alternative to satellite".  I decided to try it out and for me, it wasn't that great an improvement - actually was worse in some aspects.  I also know and have read some blogs by CF employees that really liked it, so it's not like it doesn't work for anyone.

OTOH - if you look at this forum (Other products - HD Radio), probably 10 of the top 14 posts are basically negative comments on HD radio (by myself as well as PocketRadio) and I extensively cover the pros and the cons in my HD radio Tuner review - so it's not like CF customers are being kept in the dark on this and we need a new thread to point out the info to them.

BIG teddy
    Like TigerHeli said CF has a 30 day return policy for full refund and a 60 day return policy if the item is a CF signature item.

True, but keep in mind most customers have a tendency to not use that too much - for example, HD radio does have some cool features - I used it for about two and a half years and then phased it out b/c I was in a fringe reception area and basically got better reception without it and wanted to be sure I wouldn't miss it if I swapped receivers.  People have a tendency to expect it to get better or think they will adjust to it, and then decide after six months that it wasn't the right choice but it's too late to change your mind and get a refund.  If you purchase knowing it might or might not be what you are looking for, you are more open to using the return policy.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• No I was not suggesting banishment LOL. Just a weird post is all and yes your are right it is not spamming. The same thing comes to my mind too.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• If the constant bombardment of advertisements from personal injury lawyers trolling for class action windfalls has caused you or a loved one  to suffer from stress related anxiety which may lead to symptoms such as chronic fatigue, depression, lack of vigor, "E.D.", ennui, cynical outlook, itchy scalp, toenail fungus, the heartbreak of psoriasis, lower back pain (especially lower back pain!) or the desire to commit suicide by sniffing asbestos dust, you may be entitled to a cash settlement. Before you seek medical treatment for any of these symptoms, call the Law Offices of Dewey, Cheetum and Howe for a free consultation.

RESIma

• http://sites.google.com/site/antitrollorganization/Home/dnfttDevilYes

• "Automotive Recall and TSB Titles for 2009 and 2010 Volvos"

"TJ20784 MAR 09 Audio System - HD Radio(R) Troubleshooting Guidelines"

http://www.alldatadiy.com/recalls/

Volvo also has a TSB for all 2009/2010 Volvos, but is still including HD Radio as standard, passing the costs (including iBiquity royalties) onto unsuspecting consumers. BMW's TSB has been outstanding since 2007, and is also including HD Radio as standard. This law firm won a one to three biliion dolar class-action, and has ofices throughout New England. Personally, I know that non-HD broadcasters are getting involved, too, so expect their investigation to escalate.

• Personally, I don't like the wording of "Forced to purchase technology".

If Ford decides to only offer Diesel versions of the Focus, I am not forced to purchase a diesel, I just have to buy something other than a Focus if I want a gasoline powered car.  Ultimately, Ford won't do that b/c it would lose sales.

Next you'll be posting that Alpine and Pioneer subsidized Volvo and BMW to add HD radio as standard so it would increase sales of non-HD aftermarket radios.

I do agree that HD probably works better as an add-on than as a primary radio.

In the end, the buyer will determine what the market offers, though.

• I'll sleep better at night knowing that their are lawyers out there on the front lines protecting the helpless luxury car consumer from the human tragedy of poor reception and the horror of a less than satisfactory listening experience.

Too bad the statute of limitations has run out on my old 8-track player. The psychological scars  I carry from having to shove that matchbook into the tape slot to hear any treble are debilitating.

[edited by: Alex W at 1:31 PM (GMT -5) on Sat, Sep 25 2010]

RESIma

• I agree with you TigerHeli. This is why we need comprehensive tort reform.

Only lawyers benefit from this kind of excessive litigation, everyone else pays with every purchase we make.

RESIma

• Alex W
    I agree with you TigerHeli. This is why we need comprehensive tort reform.

Agreed - let's get all of those ex-lawyers that are now our congressmen and senators to pass that right away!!! (errmn, wait ...) Devil

• "It's so difficult being a prophet. This was on my list of probable outcomes. We all know the attorneys will go wherever the deep pockets are. The carmakers dumb enough to install it, the stations dumb enough to deceptively promote it along with the IBUZ company dumb enough to invent it will be among their targets. Let's not forget the receiver manufacturers. I recall warning car companies that cars would come back with a radio operating as designed that customers would see as defective. The dealer, on the front lines, is stuck with an angry customer and an albatross that doesn't qualify under the warranty. This may make the Performance Tax look like lunch money."

Rich Wood

http://lists.radiolists.net/pipermail/broadcast/2010-September/109999.html

Rich has been asked to testify, or may wait for a subpoena. All of you can minimize this potential class-action, and as so typical of HD boosters, attack the law firm and lawyers, in general. It makes no difference, because it is going to happen, and will be the end of iBiquity as it drowns in legal fees. I can't wait for that day when our airwaves are returned to their original pristine analog. I wonder, if the list of Keefe's targets will be retailers who have deceptively promoted IBUZ, too?

• You are attempting to obfuscate the original intent of this thread. Simply, BMW, Volvo, and others are forcing a technology onto consumers that doesn't work, but is included in the cost of their vehicles as standard equipment, passing the costs onto their unsuspecting customers. BMW and Volvo continue to add HD Radio as standard, knowing the serious problems with HD Radio. i read that as an option, dealerships do not let consumers know about HD Radio because there have been so many complaints. Struble probably tricked the automakers into five year agreements. All of this will eventually come out in court, anyway.

[edited by: ibocisacrock at 9:15 PM (GMT -5) on Sat, Sep 25 2010]
  • I hope you are not referring to me!

If anything, my intent has been to eschew obfuscation.

And as a card carrying member of the ACLU for many years, I certainly have no problem with advocacy.

I do have a problem with the pretense of moral outrage as an excuse to sue one's way into a windfall over bad radio reception (no windfall for the consumers, of course.They'll probably get a coupon for a free oil change). Civil litigation is out of control, especially in regards to class actions that cost everyone money with every purchase they make, and it is not difficult to identify the source of the problem. Res ipsa loquitur.

Litigation over life's minor annoyances takes shallowness to new depths. If the worst thing that happens to you today is that you are unsatisfied with the HD radio in your new luxury sedan, you are having a really, really good day.

Man up; pop in a CD; drive downtown and do a little pro bono work.

And, btw, I m not an HD radio user, seller or advocate. I've never even heard one.

[edited by: Alex W at 12:55 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, Sep 28 2010]

RESIma