Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

KD-HDR1 AM reception is unexceptable.

Other Products

Other Products
The place to talk about other types of consumer electronics and devices

KD-HDR1 AM reception is unexceptable.

• Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping this is the place to go.  I have seen several posts about AM reception on this JVC head unit, but now that I've registered to post, you think I can find them?  Big Smile

Here is my problem.  I've replaced the factory radio in my Kia Spectra 5 with the JVC KD-HDR1.  Everything fit perfect, the wire hardness matched like it was supposed to.  After installation, I did a search on AM.  The radio would not lock on any channel.  I manually tuned to a STRONG channel here in Madison, WI.  The station sounded like I was 200 miles away.  Now I live about 15 miles from the station, so I should get a strong signal.  I then drive into work the next day and I'm about 2 miles from the station and the AM channel obviously gets better and then will go into HD and out of HD.  I went home, pulled out the KDHDR1 and replaced it with the stock radio.   AM is just fine, replace with the JVC and I get nothing.  I can't believe that the AM tuner could be this bad.  HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!    I bought this radio specifically to listen to talk radio in HD and I can't even get AM.  What might I be doing wrong?

Ken

• Additon to this post.   I'm also using the stock antenna.  FM reception seems to be fine and locks on all channels including HD-2 channels.  Does this unit require a amplified antenna or something?   There was nothing in the literature about the need for one.

Ken

• The Spectra5 uses an antenna amplifier. If this is not being turned on, then the symptoms will be as you have described up to this point. If you are using an adapter to mate to the factory plug, there should have been a Blue "Power Antenna" wire. This would need to be connected to the Blue/White wire on the JVC.

If you are not using an adapter or if the adapter doesn't have the Blue wire, you will need to hardwire this directly to the wire in the car. The wire in the factory harness is Green/Black. It should be connected to the Blue/White wire on the JVC.

Shawn

• Shawn,

You are the man.  I pulled the radio and connected the 2 wires and I have reception on my AM.  I guess I'm old school in thinking that a power antenna goes up and down when you turn on the car.  The documentation from JVC never speaks of powering up a amplified antenna.  For that matter, I never knew the antenna was powered.  Thank you so much for your help.   Now I'm truely pleased with my new purchase !

Thanx again !

• I Can't believe I found this. I have the same problem. I purchased this unit from Crutchfield years ago. The AM has not worked for years. I just decided to check the internet and I found this feed. I know it's been a long time but can you help me also? 

A have a 2000 Buick Century. It has no power antenna. I just plugged the antenna jack  into the back of the unit. FM works fine.

I was told that, because the antenna was in the back window, the reception wasn't as good as one that sticks up from the car's body. But the FM reception is great so that doesn't make sence.

Ok...No jokes about the car. It was a great deal and I am putting 2 kids through college. I need all the help I can get!

Thanks,

Don

[edited by: steiner312 at 11:51 AM (GMT -5) on Thu, Oct 27 2011]
  • Wiring Info.

I don't see anything about an antenna booster for your car, but try connecting the power antenna lead on the head unit to the dark green wire on Pin 19.

You can also call and speak with Crutchfield's tech support since you purchased the unit from them.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• It does have an antenna amplifier and connecting the power antenna wire like Tiger said should fix the problem.

Shawn