Product Review for Sirius Lynx

Other Products

Other Products
The place to talk about other types of consumer electronics and devices

Product Review for Sirius Lynx

• I’m must start out by saying that I’m a huge fan of satellite radio and have owned many satellite radios dating back to the Delphi SkyFi in 2003. I owned the Delphi XM MiFi, the Sirius S50, and the Sirius Stiletto previously so I’ve experienced the evolution of these portable satellite radios. The Sirius Lynx has taken the portable satellite radio to the next level and is my favorite model yet.

One of the big improvements is the large HD color touchscreen display that makes it easier to read radio information and simpler to navigate. The touchscreen controls could be a little more responsive as sometimes I have to touch an icon two or three times before the unit responds. That being said, I still prefer the touchscreen controls rather than the buttons used for previous models.

Another really nice feature of the Lynx is the built-in Bluetooth. I don’t use this feature often but found it particularly useful on a recent trip to Florida. I was caught in a rain storm late at night and decided to stop at a hotel. I was able to log into the hotel’s WiFi to get the satellite radio signal, and I used the unit’s built-in speaker so I could place the Lynx on the nightstand and listen to satellite radio to help go to sleep. Also, when using Bluetooth you can rewind the Lynx to the beginning of a show when changing channels so you don’t miss a thing.

My biggest complaint about the Lynx was fixed with the latest firmware update. Previously, the Lynx would automatically record your favorite channels when placed in the home dock and store up to 5 hours for each channel but you couldn’t program it to record a specific time/channel. With the new firmware update, you can now set recordings with start & stop times just like you could with the older S50 & Stiletto. I’m a big fan of the Howard Stern radio show and this allows me to record the 4-hour show on a daily basis each morning just like you would program a VCR. I can also record live concert specials like the Dave Matthews Band on a Saturday night when I have other plans and won’t be home. The downside of this recording feature for the Lynx is the recordings automatically delete after 30 days. The latest firmware update also stores 40 hours of music on each of your favorite channels so you always have something to listen to when you can’t listen to live programming.

Something I don’t like about the Lynx is the slow startup time. It takes 58 seconds from the time I push the power button on until it actually starts playing (timed it for this review). Also, the unit doesn’t always pickup where you last listened, so if you turn it off in the middle of a show you may need to fast forward to that point again. In addition, it seems to lockup once or twice a month and I need to remove the battery and reinsert it to fix this. If I were redesigning the unit, I would try to make it a little smaller/lighter. It is approximately the height & width of my iPod Touch, but is about 3 times as thick and weighs 1.2 pounds, versus .4 pounds for the iPod Touch.

Overall, I would give the Sirius Lynx 3.5 out of 5 stars. It is one of my favorite and most used electronic toys that I enjoy daily. However, I would fix the startup time, make the touchscreen controls a little more responsive, and try and make it lighter.

Andy
    Crutchfield Advisor
    1-800-388-2911-ext 3161

• I’m must start out by saying that I’m a huge fan of satellite radio and have owned many satellite radios dating back to the Delphi SkyFi in 2003. I owned the Delphi XM MiFi, the Sirius S50, and the Sirius Stiletto previously so I’ve experienced the evolution of these portable satellite radios. The Sirius Lynx has taken the portable satellite radio to the next level and is my favorite model yet.

One of the big improvements is the large HD color touchscreen display that makes it easier to read radio information and simpler to navigate. The touchscreen controls could be a little more responsive as sometimes I have to touch an icon two or three times before the unit responds. That being said, I still prefer the touchscreen controls rather than the buttons used for previous models.

Another really nice feature of the Lynx is the built-in Bluetooth. I don’t use this feature often but found it particularly useful on a recent trip to Florida. I was caught in a rain storm late at night and decided to stop at a hotel. I was able to log into the hotel’s WiFi to get the satellite radio signal, and I used the unit’s built-in speaker so I could place the Lynx on the nightstand and listen to satellite radio to help go to sleep. Also, when using Bluetooth you can rewind the Lynx to the beginning of a show when changing channels so you don’t miss a thing.

My biggest complaint about the Lynx was fixed with the latest firmware update. Previously, the Lynx would automatically record your favorite channels when placed in the home dock and store up to 5 hours for each channel but you couldn’t program it to record a specific time/channel. With the new firmware update, you can now set recordings with start & stop times just like you could with the older S50 & Stiletto. I’m a big fan of the Howard Stern radio show and this allows me to record the 4-hour show on a daily basis each morning just like you would program a VCR. I can also record live concert specials like the Dave Matthews Band on a Saturday night when I have other plans and won’t be home. The downside of this recording feature for the Lynx is the recordings automatically delete after 30 days. The latest firmware update also stores 40 hours of music on each of your favorite channels so you always have something to listen to when you can’t listen to live programming.

Something I don’t like about the Lynx is the slow startup time. It takes 58 seconds from the time I push the power button on until it actually starts playing (timed it for this review). Also, the unit doesn’t always pickup where you last listened, so if you turn it off in the middle of a show you may need to fast forward to that point again. In addition, it seems to lockup once or twice a month and I need to remove the battery and reinsert it to fix this. If I were redesigning the unit, I would try to make it a little smaller/lighter. It is approximately the height & width of my iPod Touch, but is about 3 times as thick and weighs 1.2 pounds, versus .4 pounds for the iPod Touch.

Overall, I would give the Sirius Lynx 3.5 out of 5 stars. It is one of my favorite and most used electronic toys that I enjoy daily. However, I would fix the startup time, make the touchscreen controls a little more responsive, and try and make it lighter.

Andy
    Crutchfield Advisor
    1-800-388-2911-ext 3161