Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

New

Policies, Updates and News

Policies, Updates and News
What's going on in these forums and in the electronics industry

New

• Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I am really just started to get into the car audio scene. I've always been a fan of great sounding music so I figured enough is enough and it's time to get some gear!  Anyway I have a 97 Prelude, with a decent JVC AR770 CD player. I ordered Alpine type R's for the front 6 1/2's and the rear 6x9's with the Alpine MRP 600 to drive them. Now I am moving on to subwoofers. I just bought a XScorpion dual 12 inch sealed box with 1.5 cubic ft. I want to get the Alpine MRP1000 now to power either  2 Type R's or some Rockford P3's. I am a little confused as to which type I am supposed to get 4ohm or 2ohm, single or dual voice coil. I am sure that my question has already been answered somewhere else but I would still like some help.  If the MRP 1000 is 1000x1 at 2ohms, then if it's powering 2 subs would the wattage be 500x2 at 2ohms?Also would there be a problem with the 1.5 ft of the enclosure because I see that both those subs recommended space is less than that for a sealed box. Thanks guys I appreciate the help or any suggestions.
  • For reference, the introductions forum is really for saying "Hi" and giving background and questions are better answered in the specific forum - subwoofers in this case, but I'll help you out - it just might not get the audience it should.

nantoman:
    I am a little confused as to which type I am supposed to get 4ohm or 2ohm, single or dual voice coil.

You want 2-ohms final at the amp, so either DVC-2-ohm or SVC-4-ohm would be fine (for two subs).  Alpine Type R's are DVC-only.  P3's probably are also, but I'm not sure on that.

If the MRP 1000 is 1000x1 at 2ohms, then if it's powering 2 subs would the wattage be 500x2 at 2ohms?

I don't like wording it that way, but you can think of it like that.  The amp is 1000Wx1@2-ohms and the 1000W splits evenly between the two subs (in this case wired at 4-ohms each), giving each sub 500W.

Also would there be a problem with the 1.5 ft of the enclosure because I see that both those subs recommended space is less than that for a sealed box.

It might be - is it this box?   I think if the box is too big the subs will sound a bit too "boomy" and also will not be able to handle as much power.  However:

• The specs are per sub, and you are concerned with the internal box volume.  If the box is chambered and the volume is not per chamber, you might be okay.
    • As I said, you are concerned with the internal volume, so if the box will fit in your car, you can always add some bracing inside to make the effective volume smaller - see this thread for details.
    Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Yes that is the box that I have. Altough It doesn't look all that big to me, I actually thought that it would be kind of small for two 12's. Thanks for the info TigerHeli.