Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Amp and speaker boom BOOOMM

Policies, Updates and News

Policies, Updates and News
What's going on in these forums and in the electronics industry

Amp and speaker boom BOOOMM

• Boom there, Im not the first or the last, that has joined a new forum and asked the same Q"s more than once>>.  Hopefully< the answers to my Q's will max my levels.   I started  just wanting good sounds while driving to work< next level, good hard sounds...(got tired of just neg hearing the bass>>>   to make a long song short,, I have went through 3 ea. amps,  and 2ea sets of speakers.....Just wanted to $ about 300.00, But Here I am today...   BOOM. 

My EQ

94 cheve van

Hifonics Brutus BXi1606D mono amp

4ohms@550 x1

2@1100 x1

1@1600 x1

upgrade wiring from 8 to 4 gage wire (melted fuses preventions)

2ea.  Audiobahn AW1006T 10" subs>>>>

1800W Dual 4ohm      (900w rms/450 per coil)

4MF cap   (still see headlights sending out SOS during thump)  nother post.

I think I have the final setup for the over $$$bank$$$ I put in for enjoymnet fo all music.  So to get to the point...

I sometimes smell burning, from my speakers from my 2 hold vented box>>>> specs ????   I bought it from the same place my amp and speakers..

This only occurs when Im playing hard Boomin songs.... I believe I have the correct power to push these subs, however, due the lack of info on both amp and speakers,, I may not have it wired right.... If I am understanding all the bang correctly, having enogh pwr to push is a good thing... Being a lowvoltage person, with a good understanding of Vdc,Amps, and R...  I do not have the proper install info for the subs, and or the amp..  There is not much wrong doing to the amp (D class) except for adjustments (howto's) however, " to many connections on these dual coil subs for me.."

So Q.    How to wire the 2 subs?  (for 4ohm config so I can run 900w rms smoke free)?  or what?  In other words what do I need to do to get the Big BOOM BOOM (with the setup I have)  before  the Big BANG>...?

signed 

just wanta shack rattle and roll,  or blow some snowflakes off the ride 

p.s. not sure how to get back here for your appreciated help and answers, and I hope that Im not doing anything wrong in givin my edress....

lassiterjo@yahoo.com

just subject me (here's the boom not the bang)

thanks..    

• There's not much that could go wrong with your setup.

If Audiobahn is honest about the 900W RMS per sub, you should have them at 1-ohm and sending 800W RMS to each one:

If they are smoking with that setup - make sure the gain is set properly and you aren't clipping them.

You could wire them at 4-ohms but they will only get 275W each, and unless Audiobahn was REALLY exaggerating on the specs, they won't sound good:

If you are still having dimming with the 4-Farad cap, the first thing to do is upgrade the big 3, but you might need a high-output alternator anyway after that (the alternator requires the Big 3 anyway, so you aren't losing anything trying it).

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Thanks for the come back,  after I posted I been resurching for info on this... I have found you can not get 2ohms from 2 speakers rated at 4ohms, unless you put a resister in line (I think series)  I not sure if that would be a good thing...   As of right now.. I do have it wired @ 1ohm, I never had a problem with distortion or clipping, just the smoking,,, now it not a full blown class 3 or 4 fire alarm.. just the smell of some overheating.. I will say while changing the speaker over to the 1ohm load, I found the wires I had connected were loose and terminal lugs layin iin the bottom of the box.. I lock tite them down now so hopefully I will not have that happen again..+

So after I made all these adjustments. I still have a little aroma in the air. 

the amp is cool

wiring gets a little temp, nothing to wory about. just the speakers... I didnt provide the other info in by begining post.. I have a second amp and 2 other speakers online.. but this is wired seperatly and after the major amp and speakers.

But can this smell be the burning in process.. I heard something online about it...

all I can say, Is (I HAVE TRIED TO PUSH THESE AB speakers TO THE MAX  AND BEOND)

and they seem to handle it very well. just the smell. should I put a fan in there to help? or do I need to  get more AB speakers and wire them? for 2ohm load..... or should I just get 12s...

thanks again for your responce

Boom Boom not out yet.... 

• Wiring gets a little temp has me nervous, let's talk about that ....

The Hifonics will draw 145A at clipping.  You need 2-AWG wire at the battery and for the ground for it, and a 150A fuse (but use a smaller fuse than this if you don't have 2-AWG wire, rather burn out the fuse than the wire).  That is just for the Hifonics, it needs to be thicker for your main amp combined.

For the speaker wire - if you have a single wire out of the amp, you need 8-AWG wire, if you have separate leads to each sub, you still need 12-AWG.

I suspect the wiring might be your problem.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs