Yamaha Natural Sound HTR 5835 - Questions

Policies, Updates and News

Policies, Updates and News
What's going on in these forums and in the electronics industry

Yamaha Natural Sound HTR 5835 - Questions

• Hello Crutchfield community, this is my first time posting here. I'm hoping to get some good responses on this question. I have the system listed in my Subject above. I purchased it a few years ago @bestbuy. Anyway - I was recently at a bose store, figured I'd go into the demonstration and give it a try. This sounds so much better than I've ever experienced from myYamaha system. I have it hooked up to a new 42" LCD, upconverted DVD player, and Xbox360. Anyway, through my DVD player I have it connected with an HDMI cable (video only), unfortunately my receiver doesn't have HDMI, so I used an optical cable instead.

Basically, I'm looking for some help here, is this system just not that great? Is it outdated? Or do I just not have it hooked up correctly? Speakers in the wrong positions? I plan to get the problem fixed with somebodys help, if at all possible. If you need to ask questions to help understand better, please do. Thanks

-James

• Mope, I'm going out to dinner now but when I get back I'll offer some suggestions to remdy your situation. 

Currently working on my MBA program.  I hope to return sometime in December 2010. 

• What kind of speakers is the HTR hooked up to? 

What are you settings? 

Have you triede different settings for Neo:Cinema / DTS or any other?

I'm having a hard time finding too much information on the 5835 other than this:

• Brand Name: Yamaha
  • Model: 5835SL
  • Output Wattage: 720
  • component_type: Receiver
  • audio_output_mode: Surround Sound
  • Built In Decoder: Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS Neo:6, DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital, DTS decoder
  • Remote Control Description: Universal remote control
  • Optical Digital Input: Yes
  • Coaxial Digital Input: Yes
  • Headphones Jack: Yes
  • Tuner Technology: Digital
  • radio_bands_supported: AM/FM
  • This reciever seems (on paper) simlar to mine. 

Try to watch movice in the Neo:6 mode or DTS.  See if that helps any.

Currently working on my MBA program.  I hope to return sometime in December 2010. 

• The speakers are Yamaha speakers, which came with the receiver from bestbuy a while back.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200042&CTID=5000800

I'm pretty sure this is the exact receiver - not EXACTLY sure, but yes it has no HDMI - so thats probably it. I've also posted on another forum the same question - One response I got was that I had not calibrated my speakers yet with a SPL Meter (WHich I have not) Will this most likely help / solve my problem so far?

Still looking for more suggestions, Thanks.

<Mod Edit: Linked to Manufacturer's site. Please link to Crutchfield's Item Page or manufacturer's website. Thanks.>

<Mod Edit: Hope the link is okay?>

[edited by: JerSully at 11:17 AM (GMT -5) on Thu, Feb 26 2009] [edited by: JerSully at 11:15 AM (GMT -5) on Thu, Feb 26 2009] http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538150715
  • I do not think you need an SPL meeter at this point.  If your ears are telling you that the sound is not what you expect than we can play with a few of the settings. 

Try pulling the speakers away from the wall slightly, change the position of the subwoofer and fiddle with the speaker size settings (on the reciever) first to see if you can get any improvement. 

If the receiver has different soundstage settings you can also try adjusting those to improve the sound.  (if not, than maybe it is time to pruchase a new H/T setup)

• I have the same system could you please send me a diagram or information how you connect the speakers.  I did but am not getting any sound system says check antenna.