Delphi SKYFi3 XM Radio Ground Loop Isolator

Policies, Updates and News

Policies, Updates and News
What's going on in these forums and in the electronics industry

Delphi SKYFi3 XM Radio Ground Loop Isolator

• I have had 2 each of the above radios loose the audio output. After a discussion with the customer service department they stated you should not plug in to computer speakers with out a Ground Loop Isolator. The problem is trying to find an isolator that fits or plugs into the headphone type jack.

I also wonder if there is problem with current draw powering external speakers instead of a headphones burning the audio output.

When the radio is in it's cradle for home or car there is a output plug to use for plugging in speakers or plugging into vehicle MP3 plug, do I need an isolator when a cradle is in use?

• I'm not sure a GLI is either your problem or solution, but in case it is, here's what you need:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SNI135/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-Noise-Filter.html?search=Ground+loop+isolator

DJRS:
    I have had 2 each of the above radios loose the audio output. After a discussion with the customer service department they stated you should not plug in to computer speakers with out a Ground Loop Isolator. The problem is trying to find an isolator that fits or plugs into the headphone type jack.

Usually, what you see with a ground loop is a fairly loud hum through the speakers, and the GLI gets rid of that (with some loss of volume and sound quality).

I also wonder if there is problem with current draw powering external speakers instead of a headphones burning the audio output.

I'm not sure on this one either, but my gut feeling is no - there shouldn't be.  I know computer speakers are powered, and there are also small powered speakers specifically for MP3 players and the like, but ...  The only problem I could see was if the output level of the computer soundcard and the SkyFi3 were significantly different.  Most computers only have line in, mic in, and speaker output ports, and many computer speakers have a pass-through port for headphones, and I'm pretty sure you could plug headphones into the speaker output on the computer, and since I think you can plug headphones into the output on the SkyFi3, I'm assuming they are near the same output level and that should be safe also.

When the radio is in it's cradle for home or car there is a output plug to use for plugging in speakers or plugging into vehicle MP3 plug, do I need an isolator when a cradle is in use?

Since I'm not convinced you need one without the cradle, I'm going to pass on this one.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs