types of amp to use with stereo that has 1 set of pre-outs

Policies, Updates and News

Policies, Updates and News
What's going on in these forums and in the electronics industry

types of amp to use with stereo that has 1 set of pre-outs

• i'm just wondering what types of amps to use with my stereo that has 1 set of pre-outs, i want to do a 4 channel but have heard that you cant use the fader on head unit, also was wondering if there is a way to use a mono amp for my sub and 2 channel amp for my front speaker.

Thanks 

• It really depends on what HU you have and what you want to hook up in the car.

If your HU pre-outs can be set to subwoofer mode, you are best running the RCA's to the the subwoofer amp.

If your HU pre-outs can't be set to subwoofer mode, you are best getting a 4-channel amp with RCA pre-outs and running the subwoofer amp off the 4-channel amp.

For the remaining connections, you can either use speaker level inputs on the amp, or if it lacks these, use a LOC.

The above assumes you will run a four channel and a sub amp, but you could do similar with a 2-channel and a sub amp.

Let us know what you are working with and we can give you more specifics.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• i have a JVC KD-R200 deck,1 12'' Rockford fosgate puch HE2 sub in a ported SubZero box, and want to get Rockford Fosgate T162C speakers for the front that say it will work best with external amplifier, but i want to have control of the front speakers and sub and use the fader but i've heard that with a four channel amp you lose that abilty, is this true. 

• The KD-R200 has subwoofer mode pre-outs (they can be set to subwoofer mode), so I would run your sub amp off them.

ANY speaker sounds better with an external amp!Devil

Do you plan to upgrade the rear speakers and amp them eventually as well?

You only would lose fader control if you used the HU pre-outs with a Y-adapter to connect to the 4-channel amp.  If you use speaker level outputs or a 4-channel LOC like I linked above you do not lose fader control.

However, you could also run your rear speakers off the HU only and run a 2-channel amp off the front speaker outputs or 2-channels of the LOC above and also not lose fader control.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs