Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Router Survey (Help us Help You)

Policies, Updates and News

Policies, Updates and News
What's going on in these forums and in the electronics industry

Router Survey (Help us Help You)

• We are looking at doing some internal training on networking and routers and would like to find out which kind of routers we should focus on. Please take a moment to answer the poll. If you don't mind sharing the information we would also appreciate knowing which model you have. You can respond to the post with this information.

Which brand of Router do you own?

• 3 Com (0%)
    • Apple (8%)
    • Asus (0%)
    • Belkin (6.9%)
    • Buffalo (1.1%)
    • Cisco (1.1%)
    • D-Link (10.3%)
    • Encore (0%)
    • Linksys (48.3%)
    • Netgear (13.8%)
    • Rosewill (0%)
    • TPLink (0%)
    • Trendnet (2.3%)
    • Zonet (1.1%)
    • Zyxel (1.1%)
    • Other (5.7%)
    You voted for 'Linksys'.
    • Total Votes: 87

• I messed up your vote.  The backup is Belkin (which I voted for), but the router is 2Wire - this model, I believe (came with AT&T U-Verse).

Also, this is a DSL modem with wireless capability, not technically a router, but I assume it counts for what you are asking. 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• d-link and netgear are also used.. i use my linksys modded with DD-WRT and have a d-link as a backup.. along with another wireless backup that counts as other.. i hope this helps you guys out :)

JVC KD-AVX44, 2 Massive Audio Hippo 8's , Hifonics Colossus going back in soon, MB Quart ONX216, Fli audio FL450S-F2, Energy ENC693x2 in rear deck, 6 gauge kit plus a huge 3 gauge kit. Custom built box for my 8's :)

• I have a Netgear 802.1b/g wireless router that has been in place for years. I keep the firmware up to date and I built and installed a better antenna. I have had no real need to change, but if  I did I would probably either go with a Linksys (Linux based) that I could hack or simply use an old PC with Linux and a pair of NIC's (I have a 16 port switch).

I wrote and taught some networking courses for a technical college, and if it were up to me I'd  spend some time on the theory of how routers work and the OSI layers before you get specific with one brand.

Most of the devices we refer to as routers in the residential market are actually router/switch/WAP combo units so a bit of information on ARP tables, DHCP, SSID, and encryption wouldn't hurt either.

Probably more information than you wanted.

RESIma

• Netgear N wireless router connected to cable phone/internet modem. Very fast connection.

GLH Geeked

• Alex great suggestions i agree.. and i would reccomend to you a linksys with dd-wrt linux running.. too many options full costomization.. wireless boosting, QOS settings and hundreds more!!! let me know if you want info on it.. :D

JVC KD-AVX44, 2 Massive Audio Hippo 8's , Hifonics Colossus going back in soon, MB Quart ONX216, Fli audio FL450S-F2, Energy ENC693x2 in rear deck, 6 gauge kit plus a huge 3 gauge kit. Custom built box for my 8's :)

• Thanks. I'd love some info. Always looking for an excuse to tinker!

[edited by: Alex W at 9:13 AM (GMT -5) on Fri, Jan 29 2010]

RESIma

• Linksys running DD-WRT here too.  A Netgear stuff away in a closet some where as a backup.

• Airport Extreme with 802.11N and Gigabit Ethernet, early 2008.