Blogs, readers, RSS feeds: Where do you get your information?

Policies, Updates and News

Policies, Updates and News
What's going on in these forums and in the electronics industry

Blogs, readers, RSS feeds: Where do you get your information?

• Hey Folks, I'm ever on the lookout for information regarding the industry we're in, the products we sell, new technologies, creative solutions and workarounds, car stuff, home stuff, you name it.

I rely on a number of resources to get this info, but I'm looking for more. Figured you folks might make a great resource.

Please share with me some of your favorite resources - blogs, news organizations, industry organizations, sites, favorite news readers, RSS aggregators, Favorite Yahoo tubes (do they still have Tubes?), whatever - I'm game.

What am I using now? Mostly: Facebook pages, Paper.li, digg, redditt, Twitter, a little Google +.

Thanks in advance,

Don

[edited by: Don at 2:12 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Feb 1 2012]

Don
    Community Manager

• I too use reddit and digg on occasion. I will also lurk around the SMD forums (never posted just read). Facebook pages are probably one of my most active though. There is also another site I spend some time on but won't say their name because it's a competitor, but their name is shared with a famous hedgehog. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out what I'm talking about.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• I've found a few things that work well for me on the forums - not sure it will be what you are looking for, but ...

I've found I like Metra's install kits and a lot of their other products.

About once a month, I'll check  http://www.metraonline.com/news, it doesn't get updated as often as I'd like, but I also know their tech support pretty well now.  (If you just say "Are you going to have a kit for Car X?" you don't get a lot of help, but if you say "Car Y is supposed to look like this Picture and dash removal is here" they tend to work with you a little more).

I also sometimes check the hedgehog site - mostly if someone is asking about an amp that Crutchfield never carried and I want to know the specs and fuse rating.

http://www.installdr.com/InstallYourself.asp has good info for the few cars that they do have info on.

There is an installation kit site that is quicker to access for harnesses and installation kits than going through Outfit My Car - It also is useful if someone wants to install a head unit in a newer car and doesn't want to worry with the GMOS adapters - you can usually find a reverse (into OEM radio) harness there, and with that, you can probably find the basic Metra harness even if it isn't listed for that car.

www.kiatechinfo.com and www.hmaservice.com have online shop manuals for Hyundai and Kia vehicles.  You have to register, but it's free and can be helpful is someone is working on one of those cars.

For interior photos (if I want to know what the OEM radio looked like or what color the dash illumination is), I usually go to www.gtcarlot.com and use the Google Search box there.

www.bcae1.com is a great resource, but a bit dated now.

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Oh and I can't forget e-how. I use it all the time for things of which I have no understanding on (which is a lot if I might add LOL). Agreed with Tiger BCAE is also really good resource.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• I typically check out c/net, Slippery Brick and ExtremeTech every few of days or so. CEA and CEPro maybe once a week. The Electronic Technicians Assoc. newsletter is pretty good, but doesn't have much related to A/V.

I don't use any social networking sites because I'm not that sociable. Although, I have used a bit of social engineering from time to time.

RESIma

• Alex W
    I don't use any social networking sites because I'm not that sociable. Although, I have used a bit of social engineering from time to time.

Hmm maybe I'll make you a fan page on Facebook. Well second thought who would join that Stick out tongue?

• Alex W
    I don't use any social networking sites because I'm not that sociable.

Imagine that???  (Just bustin' yer chops a bit ...) Devil

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• BIG teddy

Alex W

Hmm maybe I'll make you a fan page on Facebook. Well second thought who would join that Stick out tongue?

My cat likes me, but she doesn't have opposable thumbs. Besides, her disposition makes me look like Fred Rogers.

RESIma

• Anyone a cat likes can't be all bad.Devil  (Then again, they tend to like whoever gives them the occasional milk or ... wait for it ... cheese !!!)Cool

Perhaps we shouldn't thread-jack the Crutchfield admin's thread??? - Nah !!!!

[edited by: TigerHeli at 4:06 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Feb 1 2012]

• TigerHeli
    Perhaps we shouldn't thread-jack the Crutchfield admin's thread??? - Nah !!!!

I fear no one not even an admin LOL.

• BIG teddy

Only the shadow knows. Right Don?

RESIma