Flat Panel Mounting on Sloped Wall

TVs & Video Components

TVs & Video Components
Talk about TVs, Blu-ray players, and home theater systems
TVs

Flat Panel Mounting on Sloped Wall

This question is answered

I have a sloped wall (about 45 degrees) in my bedroom ceiling.  It would be a very covenient and comfortable position for viewing a flat panel whil loafing in bed.  Two questions:  Will a flat panel work in a forward leaning position? and, What mounting system will work?

Verified Answer
  • All of the colors will come pouring out of your screen and make a heck of a mess.

Just kidding. I can't think of any electronics related reason you couldn't mount a flat panel this way. Mechanically, I'm not so sure. My concern would be that the mounting system was really (really, reeeally!) well secured to the wall and the TV to the mount.

Most mounts and fasteners are designed to carry primarily shear stress, and I'm guessing that the mounting hardware on most TV's are not designed for this type of application either.

Are you thinking about a relatively small and light weight TV? I think that in this case "less is more" (as in less weight is more likely to stay attached to the ceiling). In any case I'd do a lot of research and contact manufacturers as to the suitability of their products for this application. Then I'd see if I could find anyone who has done this sort of installation successfully and pick their brain. Then I'd make sure the installation was done properly using the correct hardware. Then I'd make sure my bed wasn't directly in the potential flight path of the TV should something go wrong.

Given enough thrust, pigs fly just fine. But they don't like it very much, so standing under one is a bad idea, if you catch my drift.

[edited by: Alex W at 5:35 PM (GMT -5) on Sat, Apr 24 2010]

RESIma

• A 37" set seems reasonable for an application like this. They tend to be pretty light weight.

RESIma

All Replies
  • All of the colors will come pouring out of your screen and make a heck of a mess.

Just kidding. I can't think of any electronics related reason you couldn't mount a flat panel this way. Mechanically, I'm not so sure. My concern would be that the mounting system was really (really, reeeally!) well secured to the wall and the TV to the mount.

Most mounts and fasteners are designed to carry primarily shear stress, and I'm guessing that the mounting hardware on most TV's are not designed for this type of application either.

Are you thinking about a relatively small and light weight TV? I think that in this case "less is more" (as in less weight is more likely to stay attached to the ceiling). In any case I'd do a lot of research and contact manufacturers as to the suitability of their products for this application. Then I'd see if I could find anyone who has done this sort of installation successfully and pick their brain. Then I'd make sure the installation was done properly using the correct hardware. Then I'd make sure my bed wasn't directly in the potential flight path of the TV should something go wrong.

Given enough thrust, pigs fly just fine. But they don't like it very much, so standing under one is a bad idea, if you catch my drift.

[edited by: Alex W at 5:35 PM (GMT -5) on Sat, Apr 24 2010]

RESIma

• LOL - Well said!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• TigerHeli

LOL - Well said!!!

Thanks. I felt it needed to be said.

RESIma

• I definitely catch your drift!  And thanks for the comments.  Regarding the mounting systems, I recall when Philips first came out with the flat panel, they had a TV ad showing a couple lying in bed watching a TV mounted flat on their ceiling.  I also recall seeing TV displays in brew pups and sporting bars with the TVs angled forward.  So, I am inclined (pun intended) to believe that somewhere there is the type of mounting system that will work on a 45 degree angle and that the panels themselves will support such configuration....BTW, I am planning on a 37" LCD HDTV.

• A 37" set seems reasonable for an application like this. They tend to be pretty light weight.

RESIma

• As the wall is slope there is an angle.And as the panel is flat there  need a perfect combination between these two.So, there is a matter of perfect mechanics.

• You can visit this site for more information as well.

<Mod Edit: Removed solicitation. Please refer to our Code of Conduct. Thanks.>

[edited by: TigerHeli at 10:32 AM (GMT -5) on Fri, Apr 6 2012] http://wallpanel.com.au/
  • Not seeing your point - lots of wall mounts for vertical walls don't have the TV parallel to the wall - not sure why a sloped mount would require this.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• For my opinion it is better to mount your tv with adjustable bracket instead of leaning it directly. First things it is already fixed not movable, there was a time that you want to change the angle specially if you do sitting position while watching.