TV damaged in shipment. How does CRUTCHFIELD handle this?

TVs & Video Components

TVs & Video Components
Talk about TVs, Blu-ray players, and home theater systems
TVs

TV damaged in shipment. How does CRUTCHFIELD handle this?

This question is answered

Hello,

I have shopped at crutchfield ocassionally on small items and liked their business and price. Recently, I bought a Samsung 43" 3D plasma TV for $600. This is my first ever TV and was very excited to hook it up and watch some HD channels.

Long story short, I missed the 1st attempt delivery and scheduled to pick it up from UPS hub.To my horror, the packaging was very shabby. It was shipped in samsung box and i could hear the TV frame hit the side of card board. Hoping to find my TV in good shape, I took off the cover only to find my TV have big cracks. Looks like the stand was placed exactly on the side of frame and during the shipping due to lack of proper cushion it was hitting the frame and thus the cracks.

I immediately called crutchfield about the damage and they agreed to schedule for an damage inspection by UPS. I asked for a refund since I do not want to risk it again by shipping.

DOES ANYONE HAVE PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE LIKE THIS?WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RESOLVE THIS QUICKLY?

HOW DOES CRUTCHFIELD HANDLE THIS?

I can't let this drag for months like with other stories I heard. I want my TV as soon as I can. :(

Pics:

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff475/capriguy84/samsung%20TV%20arrived%20damaged%20from%20crutchfieldcom/IMG_0222.jpg

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff475/capriguy84/samsung%20TV%20arrived%20damaged%20from%20crutchfieldcom/

Tracking Info:

http://wwwapps.ups.com/tracking/tracking.cgi?tracknum=1ZV4V6420326353242&crutchid=S-CxXGHuIe7Cc

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLhcuznv37s

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff475/capriguy84/samsung%20TV%20arrived%20damaged%20from%20crutchfieldcom/?action=view&current=IMG_0226.mp4

Verified Answer
  • capriguy84
    I immediately called crutchfield about the damage and they agreed to schedule for an damage inspection by UPS. I asked for a refund since I do not want to risk it again by shipping.

DOES ANYONE HAVE PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE LIKE THIS?WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RESOLVE THIS QUICKLY?

And what did CF tell you?

The best way to resolve this quickly is to get on the phone with Crutchfield's customer service.

I can't speak for them, but I would expect they would either refund your money or ship you out a new TV and then they would be re-imbursed by UPS (assuming it is verified the TV was damaged before you received it and not after - (I'm just saying ...).

Again - though - I don't work for Crutchfield, so that is how I think they would handle it based on prior dealings, but I've never had a product damaged in shipping from them, so I can't say for certain.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • capriguy84

And what did CF tell you?

The best way to resolve this quickly is to get on the phone with Crutchfield's customer service.

I can't speak for them, but I would expect they would either refund your money or ship you out a new TV and then they would be re-imbursed by UPS (assuming it is verified the TV was damaged before you received it and not after - (I'm just saying ...).

Again - though - I don't work for Crutchfield, so that is how I think they would handle it based on prior dealings, but I've never had a product damaged in shipping from them, so I can't say for certain.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Ohh..Yes. I did call Crutchfield immediately after finding the TV damaged. They said, will either refund/ship another one after the UPS files the claims for damaged goods in shipment. They then contacted UPS about it and it appears in my tracking info.

Now I am just waiting for a call from UPS, so they can come and check the shipment and take it out of my hands. I don't know how long that will take. I called UPS directly and they said someone will get in touch. So this is kinda rat chase to get UPS to my house to inspect and agree that the shipment was indeed damaged in transit. And once they submit the claims, I am not sure If CF will wait till UPS pays them the cost for damaged good and then refund my money. So anyone have ideas?

• capriguy84
    And once they submit the claims, I am not sure If CF will wait till UPS pays them the cost for damaged good and then refund my money. So anyone have ideas?

Again, I don't work for CF, but they have cross-shipped things to me before (sent me a replacement while waiting for me to send back the bad item).  Based on that, I wouldn't expect them to wait on payment from UPS, but they will wait for the claim filing (it sounds like) - and for all I know, that might be the same thing.

Hope This Helps!!!

• Thanks for the positive input. I am still waiting for UPS to call me to schedule a inspection and pickup. It's been 3 days already. :(

• I'd probably call UPS and ask to speak to a supervisor.  Explain that it almost took less time for them to deliver the TV (albeit damaged in shipment) then it did for them to call you back.

Best of luck ...

• I would definitely call over and over until someone shows up or they give you a time/date they will be out. If you don't keep on calling them they will put you on the back burner. 

97 Ford f150 

• Here is the update guys. So UPS conducted a damage inspection via phone and asked all sorts of questions like box type, seal spec(i didn't know it existed), whether there was styrofoam inside the box, how the TV stand was placed etc. UPS told me that they will contact CF regarding the damage claim and then it is between me & CF to get the item replaced/refunded. Also UPS said, they will not pickup the package as after the claim it is upto the shiper & customer. I have to wait till Tuesday to see the outcome of this.

I have also been in touch with CF and they have been very helpful in this case. And also followed up on it later.

The only minus is I am without a TV till this gets sorted. Hope this get sorted out smoothly.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Also I would like to thank CrutchField for putting up a forum like this to allow community interaction.

• I was reading this and I noticed you stopped posting after UPS contacted you.  I was wondering the final outcome and when did you finally get a new TV.

• I had a damaged LED TV delivered by UPS.  I immediately called CF and they sent a new TV and I sent them the damaged one with a shipping label CF sent to me through e-mail.

No problem at all.