New tv and blue ray - wifi question

TVs & Video Components

TVs & Video Components
Talk about TVs, Blu-ray players, and home theater systems
TVs

New tv and blue ray - wifi question

This question is answered

I am looking at buying a new LCD tv and blue ray player.  I was looking at a blue ray player that had built in wifi.  Is there any reason why i would want wifi on my tv as well?  It seems redundant to have it on both, or am i missing something?

Verified Answer
  • Hard to say.

Network connectivity in and of itself is only useful if there is something on the network that you wish to access. That being said, it is so common to have network connectivity in every component nowadays that you may want to simply go for the gusto and get connectivity in both components then choose the GUI you like best to access content.

I'll add that there are some "features" on blu-ray discs that are only available if the player is connected to the Internet.

[edited by: Alex W at 9:40 AM (GMT -5) on Fri, Dec 23 2011]

RESIma

• hcschuldt

I was looking at a blue ray player that had built in wifi.  Is there any reason why i would want wifi on my tv as well?  It seems redundant to have it on both, or am i missing something?

There is one clear reason. Suppose you have a theater system and do not want to use the speakers connected to the receiver (perhaps you are streaming pictures as an example). Well, having WiFi in the TV would allow you to not have to turn on the receiver (even if it is a newer model with HDMI pass-through you may still have to check on which HDMI is being passed through). Also, some TV's have a web browser built into them which some customers like and use from time-to-time.

Anyone have other suggestions? Thoughts?

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul

All Replies
  • Hard to say.

Network connectivity in and of itself is only useful if there is something on the network that you wish to access. That being said, it is so common to have network connectivity in every component nowadays that you may want to simply go for the gusto and get connectivity in both components then choose the GUI you like best to access content.

I'll add that there are some "features" on blu-ray discs that are only available if the player is connected to the Internet.

[edited by: Alex W at 9:40 AM (GMT -5) on Fri, Dec 23 2011]

RESIma

• hcschuldt

I was looking at a blue ray player that had built in wifi.  Is there any reason why i would want wifi on my tv as well?  It seems redundant to have it on both, or am i missing something?

There is one clear reason. Suppose you have a theater system and do not want to use the speakers connected to the receiver (perhaps you are streaming pictures as an example). Well, having WiFi in the TV would allow you to not have to turn on the receiver (even if it is a newer model with HDMI pass-through you may still have to check on which HDMI is being passed through). Also, some TV's have a web browser built into them which some customers like and use from time-to-time.

Anyone have other suggestions? Thoughts?

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul

• Paul makes an excellent point. Having connectivity in both will certainly expand your possibilities, and there is really no down side. Plus, it is pretty much de rigueur to have connectivity in any device more sophisticated than a can opener these days.

RESIma

• Alex W
    Plus, it is pretty much de rigueur to have connectivity in any device more sophisticated than a can opener these days.

Nobody has come out with a WiFi enabled can opener yet!!!  A new product niche to be exploited!!! Devil

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs