RCA, component or s-video- Rear projection TV

TVs & Video Components

TVs & Video Components
Talk about TVs, Blu-ray players, and home theater systems
TVs

RCA, component or s-video- Rear projection TV

This question is answered

Hello,

I am new to HD TV and have a questions... (thanks in advance for you time!)

I have been given a 43'" Hitachi rear projection TV (model # 43FDC01B (V032367) The TV has HD component in (the RGB kind) as well as s-video....... no HDMI

My satellite receiver has both outputs (Component and s-video, as well as HDMI, though no HDMI in on the TV) I have an xbox 360 as well, with component cables (RGB) I have tried using these cables for gaming and watching netflix and never really noticed a difference in quality as compared to the regular RCA cables. I am fairly certain that all settings are correct on the console, though I could be wrong!

-

My question is; Will spending the cash for cables to improve my picture quality justify the expense? I know the are cheap but $20 for me is not exactly dispensable... If I buy the cables I want to notice a difference. I know rear projection are not the be quality HD TVs out there...

Thank you again for you time!!! -Spencer C.

Verified Answer
  • In terms of 'ability to transmit quality signal', first is HDMI, then component, then RCA. If RCA looks good to you, use it. If your satellite reciever has no RCA outputs, the logical choice would be to use component cables. I do not believe (I could be wrong) the Hitachi rear projection TV is true HD, so you are just as well off to only use RCA, if possible.

GLH Geeked

All Replies
  • In terms of 'ability to transmit quality signal', first is HDMI, then component, then RCA. If RCA looks good to you, use it. If your satellite reciever has no RCA outputs, the logical choice would be to use component cables. I do not believe (I could be wrong) the Hitachi rear projection TV is true HD, so you are just as well off to only use RCA, if possible.

GLH Geeked

• Thanks! I think I will just use RCA, the receiver does have RCA out. I think I will borrow some component cables and see if I notice a difference. I dont think it is "true" HD, even though it says HD. Must be the old school HD. From what I have heard from other people rear projection big screens typically have a sort of blur. Oh well! It was free! =]

Thanks again

Spencer c.

• Component is non-interlaced so it should provide a better image than composite, even on a non-HD set (no cross-chroma luminance artifacts). How much of a difference it makes will depend upon the quality of the source. There is no technical reason why a component feed can't look as good as HDMI. There may be hardware limitations or DRM issues, but nothing inherent in the medium.

FWIW, component video is not RGB, it is Y-Pb-Pr. HDMI can support both RGP and Y-Pb-Pr.

RESIma

• Alex W
    There is no technical reason why a component feed can't look as good as HDMI.

I agree, and have proven it.

GLH Geeked