Talk about TVs, Blu-ray players, and home theater systems
TVs

HDMI-CEC Issues With Logitech Harmony Remote

• Equipment:

Samsung PN51D8000

Onkyo TX-NR709

Harmony 880 Remote

Motorola DVR (Comcast)

Note on connections: The TV is connected to the receiver via a single HDMI cable using inputs which are Audio Return Channel (ARC) capable to allow transmitting of the SmartHub audio to the receiver. 

Issue:

I've been using my Harmony remote for years to make controlling my equipment easier for the whole family and it has always worked great. Unfortunately, after upgrading to a "Smart TV" with Samsung's SmartHub as well as upgrading to a receiver with HDMI switching, I've started having issues with my "Watch TV" activity. 

Here's what happens: Launching the Watch TV activity turns on the receiver, TV and DVR, sets the TV to HDMI-2, sets the receiver to CBL/SAT(in that order). After a few seconds, everything is booted and inputs are working properly (I see and hear the correct video and audio). A few seconds after that, the receiver spontaneously switches to the Audio Return Channel input from the TV, i.e. I no longer have audio from the DVR. What is odd about this is that the error only occurs with the "Watch TV" activity, and does not occur with any others (Watch Blu-ray). This seems to indicate that the DVR has something to do with this but I have no idea what.

Also, this obviously doesn't happen when I have HDMI Control turned off on the receiver. I would just turn it off and avoid this whole issue, but that would not allow me to use the SmartHub capability on the TV since HDMI Control must be on in order for the ARC to work. I've tried lots of different things to fix this including simply adding a 5 second delay to the activity then a "Receiver input to CBL/SAT" command a second time. This hasn't helped, so I must press the "Help" button every time I watch TV, which apparently sends the command again and fixes the problem. Obviously this is primarily an annoyance, but it does make using the TV an issue for guests and detracts from the elegance that the Harmony remote is supposed to provide. 

If anyone could shed some light on this issue for me I would REALLY appreciate it. I've racked my brain trying to figure out a work-around but can't think of anything and I'm not familiar enough with these new HDMI protocols to do a proper Google search to find solutions to any similar issues. If you need any additional information on my setup or anything else I'd be happy to provide that information. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide! 

[edited by: Ryan at 5:25 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Sep 12 2012]
  • Can you add the "help" command to the end of the macro?

RESIma

• i've got a Harmony One, and i don't know what i'd do without it.  but Logitech has helped me thru customer support on occasion, although it took hours.  sometimes it's just a matter of dialing in the delays just right and adding macros... but it would take dozens of replies to get it dialed in through the forum, and that might mean weeks.  i suggest you contact Logitech's customer support when you have some free time, cuz the call can take quite a while.  it's not that the suggested answers are bad, but rebooting the remote with even a subtle change in the macros is an obnoxiously slow process.

• My only question is: If the Onkyo receiver offers HDMI switching (and it does) and analog to HDMI conversion (and it does), why do you need to have the “Watch TV” macro set the Samsung’s input to “HDMI-2”?.

Basically, the switching/conversion of the receiver allows you to use the single input on the Samsung so you should really never have to adjust the video input on the TV ever again.

By having this is the macro, the TV may reset its EDID (handshake) with the receiver, so when the Onkyo detects an ARC capable television, it switches to the ARC input automatically.

I would try removing the “HDMI-2” input selection from your macro and simply leave the TV on this input at all times to see if it corrects the problem.

HTH!

Anyone else have a good recommendation?  

www.crutchfield.com/Ryan

• Thanks everybody for your suggestions!

Alex W: Unfortunatley, I'm not sure that I can add the "Help" command to the end of the macro, I do not see this option anywhere in the setup software. But it was a good thought!

J Ro: I haven't had time to contact Logitech yet, but that will definitely be my next step.

Ryan: Do you know how I can remove that command from the macro? I've looked around inside the Harmony software and haven't seen anything that gives that much control over the macros. Is there some sort of "advanced" setup mode? Right now I can only tell it which devices are used and which inputs need to be selected, but not whether or not an input even needs to be selected.  

Thanks again for your help!

• CrRider075
    J Ro: I haven't had time to contact Logitech yet, but that will definitely be my next step.

i suggest you do it when you have a lot of free time, cuz it's not exactly a swift process.  i don't think anyone on the forum is more capable of assisting you than Logitech's tech support, tho.  i think i'm pretty clever with electrics, but this remote boggles me!   once it's dialed in, however, you will be in love with it!

• I agree with J Ro. I just picked up a Harmony One to replace my aging Pronto. I may have a solution for you as I become more familiar with the device.

Then again, maybe not. I'm no fan of HDMI for anything.

RESIma

• Alex W
    I'm no fan of HDMI for anything.

i don't like doing partial quotes, but this particular part of your response bugs me.  i've asked for your advice regarding HDMI before, and i found your responses very helpful.  like it or not, HDMI is a standard that is going to be around for quite a while!

[edited by: J Ro at 12:58 AM (GMT -5) on Thu, Sep 6 2012]
  • J Ro

Alex W
    I'm no fan of HDMI for anything.

i don't like doing partial quotes, but this particular part of your response bugs me.  i've asked for your advice regarding HDMI before, and i found your responses very helpful.  like it or not, HDMI is a standard that is going to be around for quite a while!

True enough. But HDMI provides an inferior mechanical connection, it offers no qualitative advantages to the user, and its primary function is, and always has been, to implement DRM.

In short, HDMI is a technology created for the sole purpose of restricting what consumers can do with their legally purchased content. We'd be better off without it.

RESIma

• CrRider075

Ryan: Do you know how I can remove that command from the macro? I've looked around inside the Harmony software and haven't seen anything that gives that much control over the macros. Is there some sort of "advanced" setup mode? Right now I can only tell it which devices are used and which inputs need to be selected, but not whether or not an input even needs to be selected.  

While I do not own a harmony remote, I do own a not-so-cheap knockoff from another manufacturer. The software based setup on my model allows for custom “Activities” or “Macros” in which you can select the individual commands for each device that comprise the sequence.

I know that harmony tries to make things “easier” but automatically building the sequences based on the components in your system, but if they do not provide a way to custom adjust the activities, you may need to build your own Macro or “Activity” and forgo the automatic option in the harmony software.

If you are unable to find a provision for this in the software setup, you could, as J Ro has suggested, contact Harmony’s customer support: 866-291-1505.

HTH!     

www.crutchfield.com/Ryan