TVs

Which 60" LED/LCD T.V. to get?

This question is answered

I need advice. Yes...from this forum. I need to decide (quickly) what is the best 60" T.V. to get. I will be spending 70% of the time viewing regular shows and 30% watching movies. This will be mounted over my fireplace, which I have altered so the T.V. is as low on the wall as possible. I have been reading all the reviews but am having trouble deciding on 3-D, or not...Samsung...Sharp...LG...Panasonic, etc. My budget is anywhere from 1700.00 and 2700.00. Your opinion is more valuble than the polls.

Thanks.

JB

Verified Answer
  • My two favorite TV manufacturers are Samsung and Panasonic. Panasonic Plasma TV's and Samsung LED TV's. On the 3D subject, I do not like the idea of wearing heavy glasses. I did that for years and now wear contacts. I will not go back!!! But the glasses Samsung now has are light weight so I may change my thoughts. The picture quality does increase with 3D capable TV's so you can still enjoy a better picture without having to use 3D. HTH!

Anyone have other thoughts? Opinions?

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul

• My 2 TV brand choices and favorites are Samsung and Vizio. I also favor LED LCD type with 120 hz or faster refresh rate and no less than 1080P resolution.

GLH Geeked

• I prefer Samsung to most. LG is ok but I'm not a huge fan of their LED TV's. When it comes to 3D I'd say stay away from it unless you can find a nice deal on one. With the 3D though I would say Sony does the best job but it's still gimmicky. 3D is still kind of in it's infancy. Now with that said if you want to wait a few years for 3D to get better and drop the need for glasses (my biggest problem with 3D) then I would say go for 3D. Prototypes already exist for T.V's without the need for glasses so I don't see it being to much longer before they are released (actually I believe Japan already has them, also I think Panasonic makes one but the cost is outrageous, somewhere in the 40 grand range). With all that said since you plan to just watch normal T.V for the most part 3D really isn't necessary. You can't watch 3D for very long anyways because it tires your eyes and makes your head hurt lol. 

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• I like to think of 3D like the spare tire in your car.  It's not something most people use on a daily basis, but in the event you need it, it's there.  As for specific models, I'm a huge Samsung fan (and the owner of 3).  If you want a 60" TV, the Samsung UN60ES6500 is among the best TV's you can get (in your price range).  The TV has the features GLH suggested (which truly are needed on a TV this size) plus offers Wi-Fi.  

Of course, you'll get lots of opinions to help make your decision.  Take a look at this TV and the others that were recommended and I'm sure you'll be able to make an educated decision about what is right for you.  Be sure to come back and let us know what model you decide on.

Does anyone else have input to offer?

• Thanks Mike,

There has been a few responses, and Samsung is leading the poles-by far!  I had the 60ES8000 in my sight, but the budget restraints has forced me to the 60ES6100. I don't think I'll be too dissappointed, but I thought the pic quality was very sharp on the 8000 and the ES7500. I liked the built-in Skype feature and the 3/8" border (or Beazel) looked awesome. Oh well...must live within my means.

John

• I have also been looking at the LED 60" 8000 with wi-fi and all those extra gimmicks such as face recognition, hand gestures, voice, etc.  I have been told that the technology for these "gimmicks" is not really there yet, however the standard features of the 8000 are really great!  Can you use this TV without the gimmicks?  Is it worth waiting until technology catches up with the marketing?

All Replies
  • My two favorite TV manufacturers are Samsung and Panasonic. Panasonic Plasma TV's and Samsung LED TV's. On the 3D subject, I do not like the idea of wearing heavy glasses. I did that for years and now wear contacts. I will not go back!!! But the glasses Samsung now has are light weight so I may change my thoughts. The picture quality does increase with 3D capable TV's so you can still enjoy a better picture without having to use 3D. HTH!

Anyone have other thoughts? Opinions?

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul

• My 2 TV brand choices and favorites are Samsung and Vizio. I also favor LED LCD type with 120 hz or faster refresh rate and no less than 1080P resolution.

GLH Geeked

• I prefer Samsung to most. LG is ok but I'm not a huge fan of their LED TV's. When it comes to 3D I'd say stay away from it unless you can find a nice deal on one. With the 3D though I would say Sony does the best job but it's still gimmicky. 3D is still kind of in it's infancy. Now with that said if you want to wait a few years for 3D to get better and drop the need for glasses (my biggest problem with 3D) then I would say go for 3D. Prototypes already exist for T.V's without the need for glasses so I don't see it being to much longer before they are released (actually I believe Japan already has them, also I think Panasonic makes one but the cost is outrageous, somewhere in the 40 grand range). With all that said since you plan to just watch normal T.V for the most part 3D really isn't necessary. You can't watch 3D for very long anyways because it tires your eyes and makes your head hurt lol. 

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• I like to think of 3D like the spare tire in your car.  It's not something most people use on a daily basis, but in the event you need it, it's there.  As for specific models, I'm a huge Samsung fan (and the owner of 3).  If you want a 60" TV, the Samsung UN60ES6500 is among the best TV's you can get (in your price range).  The TV has the features GLH suggested (which truly are needed on a TV this size) plus offers Wi-Fi.  

Of course, you'll get lots of opinions to help make your decision.  Take a look at this TV and the others that were recommended and I'm sure you'll be able to make an educated decision about what is right for you.  Be sure to come back and let us know what model you decide on.

Does anyone else have input to offer?

• Thanks Mike,

There has been a few responses, and Samsung is leading the poles-by far!  I had the 60ES8000 in my sight, but the budget restraints has forced me to the 60ES6100. I don't think I'll be too dissappointed, but I thought the pic quality was very sharp on the 8000 and the ES7500. I liked the built-in Skype feature and the 3/8" border (or Beazel) looked awesome. Oh well...must live within my means.

John

• i preffer the Samsung, I don't like the 3D gimik but you only get those high end rich contrast ratios with tv's that have 3d and internet, things i don't use but i wanted the best available picture.  i have the 60'' Samsung E8000 and it looks great wish i would have spent a few hundred extra dollars and got the LED though.

• I have also been looking at the LED 60" 8000 with wi-fi and all those extra gimmicks such as face recognition, hand gestures, voice, etc.  I have been told that the technology for these "gimmicks" is not really there yet, however the standard features of the 8000 are really great!  Can you use this TV without the gimmicks?  Is it worth waiting until technology catches up with the marketing?