horizontal red line on plasma television.

TVs & Video Components

TVs & Video Components
Talk about TVs, Blu-ray players, and home theater systems
TVs

horizontal red line on plasma television.

• I have a Panasonic TC-P42G25 plasma t.v.  It has developed a horizontal line of primarily red pixels that runs across the entire screen The line is located about one third of the way up from the bottom of the screen. From my normal viewing position it appears to be a solid line, but up close it is really a dotted line (--------). The line is about five pixels tall and each "dot" is about five pixels wide. There are a few blue pixels scattered through out. Naturally this occurred two months after the factory warranty expired. Has anyone out there experienced this problem? A few people have told me "You need to replace a chip." But looking on line, there seems to be a lot of different "chips" that go into a plasma set. I would greatly appreciate any info that anyone could provide.

• Hi,

Unfortunately, the best answer I can provide you is to try unplugging it for 15-20 minutes and plugging it back in. If the line is still there, it is the cause of a hardware fault, and you would need to have it looked at by a technician to further diagnose the problem. It could be a "chip", but it could also be the screen itself, or several other possibilities. There's really no way to narrow the problem down further without opening the television and I would not suggest attempting that yourself.